Good Books on QFT: Suggestions & Reviews

• Thread starter JamesOrland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Qft
In summary, I think QFT in a nutshell is a good book to start with if you want a highly intuition-driven introduction to the subject. It's not as systematic as Peskin and Schroeder, but it's got a lot of good material that you can expand on from there.
JamesOrland
Hello. I'd like to know of good suggestions of books on QFT. I have a somewhat firm grasp on non-relativistic Quantum Mechanics, and already know of some good books about it, so I'd like to understand some Quantum Field Theory if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions :)

Physics news on Phys.org
we used sakurai for our introductory course, but there might be something that feynmann worked on that will give you better intuition

Last edited by a moderator:
Peskin and Schroeder is widely used, and highly recommended.

My own advice - never learn a subject from just one book! Read two books in parallel, and play them off against one another, word by word. This prevents you from becoming tied to a single point of view. Plus the thought involved in bringing two viewpoints into harmony makes you more of an active participant.

Certainly, which is why I asked for books not book ^^ I'm going to try to read as many of them as I can. When I have the time, that is. Probably sometime around next semester or year. Still, would love to hear more suggestions.

Peskin and Schroeder does indeed contain a lot of good material, but I think parts of it are utterly unreadable (the section on the quantization of the electron field is one example). Srednicki, which atyy mentioned, is a nice book/supplement.

Another really useful resource is http://www.quantumfieldtheory.info/ I haven't read the associated book yet, but I found many of his PDFs helpful when I was learning QFT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like QFT in a nutshell, by Zee. It is not a very systematic presentation but it is full of utterly needed intuition. I also liked that it is not restricted to relativistic QFT but has many examples from solid state physics, too. I think the latter point being especially important as you see which constructions are peculiar to relativistic field theories and what are their limitations in more general settings.

Thank you all very much for your replies! If there's any more input, I'd love to hear it. I wrote down all the books you suggested and will be doing my research when I have the time for that ^^

There is a freely available set of (very good) lecture notes here. There is even a set of video lectures that follow the notes, so you can go through them together as if you were taking an intro QFT class. Doing the accompanying exercise sheets would also be highly recommended as you go along. David Tong is an excellent lecturer, and the notes (plus videos if you so choose) are a nice introduction to the canonical quantization approach. They cover the content of Peskin and Schroeder chapters 1-5, though in a slightly different order and emphasis. The book would be a nice supplement, as well as letting you continue on from where Tong leaves off.

FAQ: Good Books on QFT: Suggestions & Reviews

1) What is Quantum Field Theory (QFT)?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields in the subatomic realm.

2) What are the best books to learn QFT?

Some popular books for learning QFT include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen Blundell, "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee, and "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder.

3) Are there any books that provide a historical background on QFT?

Yes, "The Infinity Puzzle: Quantum Field Theory and the Hunt for an Orderly Universe" by Frank Close and "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard P. Feynman provide a historical perspective on the development of QFT.

4) Which QFT books are suitable for beginners?

For beginners, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" are highly recommended. They provide a clear and accessible introduction to the subject without assuming much prior knowledge.

5) Are there any online resources that can supplement QFT books?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and problem sets that can supplement QFT books. Some popular ones include the MIT OpenCourseWare lectures on QFT and the "Quantum Field Theory Demystified" series on YouTube.