Good Introductory Book/Article to Dark Energy?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Dark Energy and the person is looking for a good introductory book or article on the subject. Two recommendations are given, one being a review article and the other being a paper by Padmanabhan, an expert on Dark Energy. Both sources are said to be accessible for a general audience.
charmander
I have read a lot about Dark Energy in books meant for the general public and I would really like to learn more. I am a junior undergrad physics and math major. Can anyone recommend a good introductory book/article that is appropriate for an undergraduate? Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
Wakabaloola,
Thanks a lot! That definitely looks a lot easier to understand than some of the articles I've tried to read.

Just to get a balanced perspective you might also have a look at
http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3966/
"Why all these prejudices against a constant?" :biggrin:

It's also written to be fairly widely accessible.

Related to Good Introductory Book/Article to Dark Energy?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up approximately 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How was dark energy discovered?

Dark energy was first proposed in the late 1990s when astronomers observed that the expansion of the universe was accelerating. This discovery was made by measuring the brightness of distant supernovae and comparing it to their redshift.

3. What are the current theories about dark energy?

There are several theories about dark energy, but the most widely accepted one is the cosmological constant, which suggests that dark energy is a constant energy density that exists throughout space. Other theories include quintessence, which suggests that dark energy is a dynamic field, and modified gravity, which proposes that the laws of gravity are different on a large scale.

4. How does dark energy affect the universe?

Dark energy is believed to be the driving force behind the accelerated expansion of the universe. It counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion to accelerate instead of slowing down. This ultimately affects the structure of the universe and the formation of galaxies and galaxy clusters.

5. Can dark energy be observed or measured?

Currently, dark energy cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its effects can be observed through its impact on the expansion of the universe. Scientists are also studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which may provide more insights into the nature of dark energy.