Good posts: bookmarking and rating

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the idea of being able to easily bookmark a good post on a personal blog and rate a post with something like the REPORT button. Suggestions were made for indicating the number of votes or a bar to show the post's usefulness. However, concerns were raised about people boosting their own ratings and the potential for cheating. It was suggested to only allow others to vote and to limit votes to one per person. The issue of sockpuppets and cheating was also brought up.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Starting with this comment by genneth
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1444379#post1444379
it might be nice to be able to (say)
easily (with one click) bookmark a good post to a special entry in one's personal blog
and (neutrino's idea) rate a post with something like the REPORT button (the ! on the lower left for Nexus-skin folks). I then suggested that maybe something indicating the number of votes "45 found this post useful" (like an Amazon review) or maybe just a bar like in the poll feature.

Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:
rate a post with something like the REPORT button (the ! on the lower left for Nexus-skin folks). I then suggested that maybe something indicating the number of votes "45 found this post useful" (like an Amazon review) or maybe just a bar like in the poll feature.
We had considered that, but what is to stop someone from boosting their own ratings? How would someone know if the answer was really correct? That is one of the reasons we decided to award science advisor and homework helper ribbons. A member can be fairly sure that if a post is made by someone with one of these ribbons that their answer should be pretty sound.

And that means you. :smile:

Evo said:
We had considered that, but what is to stop someone from boosting their own ratings? How would someone know if the answer was really correct?

I knew this point would be made. Would it not be possible to allow everyone but the poster to vote? There are other methods that the person could employ to boost their rating, but I'm fairly sure that people who have the ability to create such wonderful or enlightening posts will not try to cheat. :wink:

neutrino said:
but I'm fairly sure that people who have the ability to create such wonderful or enlightening posts will not try to cheat. :wink:
Those aren't the ones we need to be concerned about, it will be the crackpots that will try to give themselves high ratings.

In a poll [like the Photo Contest], one can only vote once.
Seems like something similar can be done.

robphy said:
In a poll [like the Photo Contest], one can only vote once.
Seems like something similar can be done.
Sockpuppets.

Evo said:
Sockpuppets.

Oh... that's how I can win the Photo Contest! :smile:

robphy said:
Oh... that's how I can win the Photo Contest! :smile:

FAQ: Good posts: bookmarking and rating

1. What is the purpose of bookmarking a post?

Bookmarking a post allows you to save it for later reference. This is especially useful for posts that contain valuable information or resources that you may want to revisit in the future.

2. How does bookmarking a post benefit me?

Bookmarking a post helps you stay organized by keeping all your important posts in one place for easy access. It also allows you to quickly find and review posts that you have found helpful or informative.

3. Can I bookmark any type of post?

Yes, you can bookmark any type of post, whether it's a blog article, a social media post, or a news article. As long as the post has a URL, you can save it to your bookmarks.

4. What is the difference between bookmarking and rating a post?

Bookmarking a post saves it for your personal use, while rating a post adds a rating or review that is visible to others. Rating a post can help others determine if the post is worth reading or not.

5. Is there a limit to how many posts I can bookmark?

There is no set limit to how many posts you can bookmark, but it's important to keep your bookmarks organized and manageable. Too many bookmarks can become overwhelming and defeat the purpose of bookmarking in the first place.