Good set of commuting observables?

In summary, a "good" set of commuting observables in quantum mechanics often refers to a set of operators that commute with the Hamiltonian and are considered "good" because they allow for the determination of a complete set of quantum numbers that remain constant in time. However, the specific definition may vary and can also depend on the context.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

I keep seeing this crop up throughout my QM course but i still don't understand what a "good" set of commuting observables would be. . Surely any set of observables that commute have to be a good set? I may just be stating the obvious but the way its phrased it makes me feel as though some observables that commute may be 'better' for some reason than another set that also commute but I don't understand why that's the case. Like if you have a couple of operators such that [a, b] = 0 and [a, c] = 0 are they both as good as each other for describing a quantum system or what? To me this says that observables for both a and b, or a and c can be found simultaneously so neither is a better set?

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much explained my thoughts on the matter above, its not so much a homework question as it is just clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
You often see "good" associated with quantum numbers. I did a search for "good set of commuting observables (operators)" and didn't find much. But "good quantum number" yielded some hits. Looking at the results, it appears that a "good quantum number" is often taken to mean a quantum number associated with an operator that commutes with the Hamiltonian so that the value of the quantum number remains constant in time. An example would be the angular momentum quantum number ##l## for the hydrogen atom if you neglect spin-orbit interaction. With spin-orbit interaction ##l## is no longer "good".

So, perhaps, a good set of commuting observables would be a set of commuting operators that includes the Hamiltonian. You could possibly add a further condition that the set of observables is "complete" so that a quantum state which is an eigenstate of all of the observables in the set would be uniquely determined. Don't know if this helps much.

Last edited:

Related to Good set of commuting observables?

1. What is a good set of commuting observables?

A good set of commuting observables refers to a group of physical properties or quantities that can be measured on a system and whose values can be determined simultaneously without affecting each other. In other words, they are quantities that do not interfere with each other's measurement and can be measured at the same time, making them useful for studying the system's behavior.

2. Why is a good set of commuting observables important?

A good set of commuting observables is important because it allows us to fully describe and understand a physical system. By measuring these observables, we can determine the state of the system and predict how it will evolve over time. This is crucial in various areas of science, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and classical mechanics.

3. How is a good set of commuting observables identified?

A good set of commuting observables can be identified by using mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue analysis and symmetry considerations. These techniques help identify observables that share common eigenstates, meaning they can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's measurement.

4. Can a good set of commuting observables change over time?

No, a good set of commuting observables does not change over time. This is because if the observables were to change, they would no longer commute with each other, and their values would affect each other's measurement. Therefore, a good set of commuting observables is a constant set of properties that fully describe the system.

5. How are good commuting observables used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a good set of commuting observables is used to determine the state of a system. By measuring these observables, we can determine the probability of finding the system in a particular state. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their future states.