Good textbook for better understanding calculus?

In summary, the person is looking for a calculus book that provides a deeper understanding of the subject and is considering majoring in physics. They have heard good things about Spivak and Courant, but are concerned about the difficulty level. They are also considering Kline's calculus: an intuitive approach, which focuses on explaining concepts and their applications. The person has received positive reviews for Spivak's book, but it may require more time and effort to fully understand.
armolinasf
I've just completed calc 1, the book we used was Hughes-Hallett but I'm looking for a book that that really explains the concepts and gives me a deeper understanding of the subject. I'm seriously considering majoring in physics so I don't know if that would come into consideration when considering a book.

I've heard good things about Spivak and Courrant, but I'm worried that it may be too difficult, or would going through the normal calculus sequence using Hughes-Hallett be good enough preparation?

The other one I've looked at is Kline's calculus: an intuitive approach. It seems interesting because it attempts to explain concepts together with their physical applications How would this one compare with Spivak or Courant?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak's book is amazing. It is more of a maths book, but does include some references to their applications. I don't think the book is too hard to get through, but it's by no means an easy read, be prepared to spend a lot of time solving the problems he gives for a better understanding.

Related to Good textbook for better understanding calculus?

1. What makes a textbook a "good" resource for understanding calculus?

A good textbook for understanding calculus should have clear and concise explanations, relevant examples and practice problems, and a logical progression of concepts. It should also include visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to help illustrate concepts.

2. Are there any specific features or elements that I should look for in a calculus textbook?

In addition to the content mentioned above, a good calculus textbook should also have a comprehensive index, glossary, and solutions manual for practice problems. Interactive online resources or supplementary materials can also be helpful for further understanding and practice.

3. How do I know if a textbook is suitable for my level of understanding?

Before purchasing a calculus textbook, it is important to consider your current level of understanding and the level of the textbook. Look at the table of contents and sample chapters to get a sense of the difficulty level and whether it aligns with your needs. You can also ask for recommendations from professors or peers.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning calculus?

There are many textbooks available for learning calculus, and the best one for you may depend on your learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart.

5. Can I use an older edition of a calculus textbook instead of the latest edition?

In general, it is recommended to use the latest edition of a textbook as it may include updated content and corrections. However, if cost is a concern, using an older edition may still be beneficial as the core concepts of calculus remain the same. Just be aware of any significant changes between editions and supplement with online resources if needed.