Good textbook to complement Physics II?

In summary: Halliday and Morin (have the Morin Classical Mechanics already), but not sure how either of their books are for Physics II?I would recommend looking into either Halliday and Morin's book or Ohanian's book. Both are good options and will provide you with the information you need for Physics II.
Ascendant78
I am currently taking Physics II and need a good textbook to complement my course. We are using a free one, Spiral Physics, which is relatively worthless. It explains very basic concepts, but gives very few (if any) real-world examples and at least half the answers in the back for Physics II are wrong, so you have no way to even check yourself to make sure you are doing it all right.

I have heard of Halliday and Morin (have the Morin Classical Mechanics already), but not sure how either of their books are for Physics II? I would like something challenging, comprehensive, has a good amount of problems with answers to try out, and digestible to someone who is still in the process of taking Physics II.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, just to add, I do have Physics for Scientists and Engineers from Ohanian. Seems decent as I used vol. 1 of it to complement my Physics I course, but if there is something that would be better, I'm all ears.

You say you have Morin's CM book, but that's for CM and isn't Physics II generally EM?

WannabeFeynman said:
You say you have Morin's CM book, but that's for CM and isn't Physics II generally EM?

Yes, you are right. My point was that I know Morin is one of the more challenging books when it comes to CM, but I didn't know how theirs was for EM. Some authors can be hit or miss depending on the topic, so I didn't want to make any assumptions. I also don't like to base my conclusions off feedback on Amazon because a lot of people will give bad ratings because they couldn't keep up with the content. Figured I'd get more reliable feedback here.

I liked (Arthur) Kip, Electricity and Magnetism. Amazon gives it several 5-star reviews. I have heard Kip is out of print however. Maybe your library has it. I have not looked in the book for years though so I am not really familiar with it

FAQ: Good textbook to complement Physics II?

What is the best textbook to use for Physics II?

The best textbook to use for Physics II will depend on your specific needs and learning style. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

What topics should a good Physics II textbook cover?

A good Physics II textbook should cover topics such as electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It should also include relevant mathematical concepts and problem-solving strategies.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a Physics II textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a Physics II textbook. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These resources offer additional explanations, practice problems, and interactive simulations.

Is it necessary to purchase the latest edition of a Physics II textbook?

It is not necessary to purchase the latest edition of a Physics II textbook. While newer editions may include updated information and examples, the core concepts and principles of physics remain the same. Older editions can often be found at a lower cost and can still provide a solid foundation for learning.

How can I determine if a Physics II textbook is suitable for my level?

To determine if a Physics II textbook is suitable for your level, you can look at the level of mathematics and physics covered in the book. If you have already taken a physics course or have a strong background in math, you may benefit from a more advanced textbook. However, if you are new to physics, it may be best to start with a more basic textbook and work your way up.