Goodbye Opera, Hello Dolphin

• Thread starter TumblingDice
  • Start date
In summary, Mobile Opera wasn't displaying the graphics correctly on PF pages, and Opera Classic was faster and more reliable.
TumblingDice
Gold Member
Posting this for droid tablet users, might apply to cell phones. I used Dolphin the first year I had my tablet because, IMHO, it really is the best droid browser. I switched to Opera Classic the past year for reasons that either no longer apply or aren't worth mentioning.

In the blur of testing PF4 on different browsers and platforms this weekend, I didn't notice that Opera wasn't displaying ANY of the 'gingerbread' graphics on PF pages. No 'light bulbs' or category switches on home page, no 'eyes' or 'pushpins' on thread lists, no 'gazebos' or 'stars' above avatars on posts... I feel like an idiot for missing this while focusing on other stuff.

I'm back on Dolphin now and looking forward. I couldn't type even a new post into PF using Opera without a ghost taking over the keyboard. Any other Dolphin users with feedback you'd like to share?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm I like mobile Opera. I'll have to test to see what is up

I tried Mobile Opera, but settled in with Opera Classic (from Google Play) because (1) I like the speed-dial page with thumbnails and (2) it loads content as it arrives so I can begin reading ASAP. I'm not sure that the problem is with OC - it could be that the graphics are on a server with a mis-matched security certificate? OC informed me of a cert problem on Saturday. Please let me know how I can help.

TumblingDice said:
OC informed me of a cert problem on Saturday
That was during some setup. The certificates should all be valid now.

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm I like mobile Opera.
Thanks a bunch for the spot on testimonial. :)

Dolphin doesn't play well with my tablet's attachable keyboard. The annoyance of fighting Dolphin finally won out over taking the time to choose/install/configure a new browser. Being that PF is my most important site, your satisfaction with OM made moving to it a "no-brainer". I'm jazzing on not having any more problems that distract from maximum enjoyment at PF. :cool:

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Goodbye Opera, Hello Dolphin

1. What is "Goodbye Opera, Hello Dolphin"?

"Goodbye Opera, Hello Dolphin" is a phrase used to describe the transition from using the Opera web browser to using the Dolphin web browser.

2. What are the main differences between Opera and Dolphin?

The main differences between Opera and Dolphin are their user interfaces, features, and performance. Opera has a more traditional user interface with a speed dial feature, while Dolphin has a more modern and customizable interface. Dolphin also has features such as gesture control and ad blocking that are not available on Opera. In terms of performance, Dolphin tends to be faster and more efficient than Opera.

3. Why are some people switching from Opera to Dolphin?

Some people are switching from Opera to Dolphin due to dissatisfaction with recent changes in Opera's user interface and features. Additionally, Dolphin is known for its fast and efficient performance, making it a popular choice among users.

4. Is Dolphin a secure web browser?

Yes, Dolphin is a secure web browser. It uses SSL encryption to protect user data and has features such as private browsing and anti-phishing protection to keep users safe while browsing.

5. What platforms is Dolphin available on?

Dolphin is available on both mobile and desktop platforms. It can be downloaded for free on iOS and Android devices, as well as on Windows and Mac computers.