Google Trends: CS-related phrases at an all-time low

In summary, AI is making computers smarter, but they're not doing a very good job of understanding humans.
avant-garde
When I took a look at Google Trends this morning, I found out that words such as "computer science," "software engineering," "programming," "c++/java" have been declining significantly over the years. Even "outsourcing" has been as well.

Can anyone explain this pattern?

Technology news on Phys.org
Google is becoming more part of the 'real' world rather than just being used by computer types?
The top hit for 'samba' used to be a program to allow Unix machines to talk to Windows servers now the first dozen pages are probably about the dance.

mgb_phys said:
Google is becoming more part of the 'real' world rather than just being used by computer types?
The top hit for 'samba' used to be a program to allow Unix machines to talk to Windows servers now the first dozen pages are probably about the dance.

Hmm, first few links for me
http://www.samba.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(disambiguation)
us1.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html
us1.samba.org/samba/

5/9 seems significant to me. Even if you don't consider sub-links, it still is 3/6 (Ignoring the video links).

Coming back to the question :

Snippet from About Google Trends
"With Google Trends, you can compare the world’s interest in your favorite topics. Enter up to five topics and see how often they’ve been searched on Google over time."

This gives two possible reasons,
A] Losing interest in CS related searches
This is quite highly unlikely because university students might still search on google for lecture notes and the likes .oO(or do they? especially with sites like academicearth.org, wikipedia, ocw etc. vying to be a more centralized and dependable sources for academic notes and info?)
B] Google is being used equally if not more by all of its user groups than those who would search for CS specific stuffs.

It could either of the above or both. Ofcourse, if someone tries to imply from this that CS is not a popular field anymore, then I must say that I don't feel the same way.

-- AI

Related to Google Trends: CS-related phrases at an all-time low

1. What is Google Trends and how does it work?

Google Trends is a free online tool provided by Google that allows users to see the popularity of search terms over time. It works by analyzing the number of searches for a particular term on Google over a specific period of time and displaying the results as a graph.

2. What does it mean when CS-related phrases are at an all-time low on Google Trends?

When CS-related phrases are at an all-time low on Google Trends, it means that there has been a decrease in the number of searches for those terms compared to previous time periods. This could be a result of a decrease in interest or relevance of those phrases to current events or trends.

3. What are some possible reasons for CS-related phrases being at an all-time low?

There could be several reasons for CS-related phrases being at an all-time low on Google Trends. It could be due to a shift in focus towards other topics or industries, a decrease in public interest or relevance, or a decline in the overall popularity of those phrases.

4. Is there any significance to the CS-related phrases being at an all-time low?

The significance of CS-related phrases being at an all-time low depends on the context in which they are being used. It could indicate a decline in the popularity of certain technologies or concepts related to computer science, or it could simply reflect a temporary decrease in interest.

5. Can Google Trends be used for data analysis in the field of computer science?

Yes, Google Trends can be a useful tool for data analysis in the field of computer science. It can provide insights into the popularity and trends of various CS-related terms, which can be helpful for research and market analysis. However, it should be used in conjunction with other data sources for a comprehensive analysis.