Gore-Tex Properties: Discovering ePTFE Mechanical Data

• Thread starter jack_struther
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary: In summary, a person is looking for mechanical data on Gore-Tex for a physics coursework but has been unable to find any. They are wondering if anyone knows where to find or has the information. Another person suggests using the properties of PTFE and recommends going to the Gore-Tex website for more information.
jack_struther
I know this isn't in the usual template, but i have a big problem! I opted to do a piece of physics coursework on Gore-Tex, which I have since found to be expanded polytetrafluoroethelene (ePTFE). The bulk of my presentation needs to be on gore-tex's properties, but i have found it impossible to find any mechanical data e.g. stress/strain graphs, youngs modulus, hardness etc. If any of you have any idea where to get this data, or (hopefully!) know it yourselves, then please could you help? If it helps, the pores in gore tex are 8-10 microns across. Thanks, Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on the exact material (they make 1,2 and 3ply for different clothes) but basically you can just use the properties of PTFE (the holes aren't going to change the properties much) you would need to know the thickness of PTFE used for the particular garment

I would be doing it on the two ply. Is there any chance you could reccomend a good website to find the info on? Thanks, Jack

jack_struther said:
I would be doing it on the two ply. Is there any chance you could reccomend a good website to find the info on? Thanks, Jack

You might as well go straight to the source: http://www.gore.com/"
http://www.gore.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Gore-Tex Properties: Discovering ePTFE Mechanical Data

1. What is Gore-Tex?

Gore-Tex is a brand of waterproof and breathable fabric that is commonly used in outdoor clothing and gear. It is made from a material called ePTFE (expanded polytetrafluoroethylene) and is known for its high performance and durability.

2. How does Gore-Tex provide waterproofing?

Gore-Tex is made up of tiny pores that are too small for water droplets to pass through, but large enough for water vapor to escape. This allows sweat to evaporate from the inside, while preventing outside moisture from getting in.

3. What makes Gore-Tex breathable?

The ePTFE material used in Gore-Tex has a high surface area which allows for efficient moisture transfer. This means that sweat can escape through the pores, while still maintaining a waterproof barrier.

4. How does the mechanical data of ePTFE affect the performance of Gore-Tex?

The mechanical data of ePTFE, such as its tensile strength and flexibility, directly impact the performance of Gore-Tex. These properties determine the durability and comfort of the fabric, making it suitable for a range of activities and environments.

5. Is Gore-Tex environmentally friendly?

Gore-Tex has been working to reduce its environmental impact by using recycled materials and implementing sustainable practices in its production processes. However, the use of chemicals in the fabric coating and the disposal of used Gore-Tex products still raise concerns about its overall sustainability.