Grab a bag of sugar and say this weighs 1KG

• Thread starter MrPickle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary, the word "weight" can have multiple meanings and the scientists are wrong when they say it has only one.
MrPickle
If I were to grab a bag of sugar and say this weighs 1KG. What do I actually mean?

KG is the unit for mass, not weight. What is the actual weight of the bag of sugar? (Assuming I'm on earth) Would it be 9.81N?

This has been running through my mind recently, I want to try and put the common world into it's proper perspective.

Physics news on Phys.org

MrPickle said:
If I were to grab a bag of sugar and say this weighs 1KG. What do I actually mean?

KG is the unit for mass, not weight. What is the actual weight of the bag of sugar? (Assuming I'm on earth) Would it be 9.81N?

This has been running through my mind recently, I want to try and put the common world into it's proper perspective.

You are right mass and weight are different things and on Earth every Kg weighs 9.81N.

Dadface said:
You are right mass and weight are different things
There are not different things colloquially, and more importantly, they are not different things legally. You have to be careful here. Weight has multiple meanings. A synonym for mass is one of them.

and on Earth every Kg weighs 9.81N.
And that is simply not true. A kilogram has a scale weight of 9.779 Newtons in Mexico City but 9.819 Newtons in Oslo. That is exactly why legally weight is a synonym for mass.

So when a "common" person refers to weight they actually mean mass and it's the word that's incorrectly used, not the unit?

MrPickle said:
So when a "common" person refers to weight they actually mean mass and it's the word that's incorrectly used, not the unit?

Well when people say weight in kilos, they are using the unit of mass.

However! You can describe weight as "kilograms force". Which is descirbing the weight that 1 kilogram of mass would make in standard gravity.

1 KgF = 9.81 N = 1kg mass * gravity
Its only the same as imperial units. Lbs for mass and lbf for force.

1 lbf is the force given by a 1 lb weight * gravity.

The word is fine. Many words have multiple meanings. Suppose you pick an argument with a lay person regarding their supposed incorrect use of the the word "weight". One of the two of you is indeed wrong: You.

D H said:
The word is fine. Many words have multiple meanings. Suppose you pick an argument with a lay person regarding their supposed incorrect use of the the word "weight". One of the two of you is indeed wrong: You.

But it is scientifically wrong, isn't it?

MrPickle said:
But it is scientifically wrong, isn't it?

My personal opinion: In this case it is the scientists that are wrong. Look at it this way: Scientists really, really do not like the way the lay community has contorted the meaning of the word "theory". A scientific theory is the gold standard of science. You can't get any better. Somehow, theory has been contorted to mean "wild-assed guess" in the lay community -- and the lay community uses this meaning to question science. For example, "Evolution is only a theory, isn't it?"

If we want to get uppity about the lay community usurping our terms, we ought not to usurp theirs. If we do, we ought not to get uppity about the lay community continuing to use their terms in the way they have used them for a long, long time.

Related to Grab a bag of sugar and say this weighs 1KG

1. How can I determine the weight of a bag of sugar?

To determine the weight of a bag of sugar, you can use a scale to measure its mass in kilograms. Alternatively, you can use the weight stated on the packaging if it is provided by the manufacturer.

2. What is the significance of saying a bag of sugar weighs 1kg?

Saying a bag of sugar weighs 1kg is a way of stating its mass, which is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. This information is important for cooking and baking, as well as for nutritional purposes.

3. Is 1kg the standard weight for a bag of sugar?

No, 1kg is not the standard weight for a bag of sugar. The weight of a bag of sugar can vary depending on the brand, type, and quantity of sugar in the bag. Some bags may weigh more or less than 1kg.

4. Why is it important to accurately measure the weight of a bag of sugar?

Accurately measuring the weight of a bag of sugar is important for following recipes and ensuring the desired outcome in cooking and baking. It is also important for tracking the amount of sugar consumed for health and dietary purposes.

5. How can I convert the weight of a bag of sugar from kilograms to other units of measurement?

To convert the weight of a bag of sugar from kilograms to other units of measurement, you can use conversion factors or an online conversion tool. For example, 1kg is equivalent to 2.2 pounds, 1000 grams, or 35.27 ounces.