Grad f is proportional to grad g

In summary: The answer to your question is basically yes. One way to see this is to note that if the functions' gradients are everywhere proportional, then the functions' level surfaces are identical. So (at least in local patches) each must be a function of the other.The answer to your question is basically yes. One way to see this is to note that if the functions' gradients are everywhere proportional, then the functions' level surfaces are identical. So (at least in local patches) each must be a function of the other.
techmologist
If the gradients of the two functions f and g are proportional everywhere in Rn, does that mean there is some differentiable function F of two variables such that F(f(x),g(x)) = 0 everywhere?

The converse is obviously true by the chain rule, so I was just wondering if this was true, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
techmologist said:
If the gradients of the two functions f and g are proportional everywhere in Rn, does that mean there is some differentiable function F of two variables such that F(f(x),g(x)) = 0 everywhere?

The converse is obviously true by the chain rule, so I was just wondering if this was true, too.
Yes, take F(x,y) identically zero. But that's not what you wanted, right? :smile:

Erland said:
Yes, take F(x,y) identically zero. But that's not what you wanted, right? :smile:

Heh, I didn't think about that. Yeah, I want there to be some more interesting functional dependence between f and g. But I think stating it as g(x) = F(f(x)) is too strong, because the relation between them might be one-to-many. I was reading about barotropic fluid flows, in which isobars are also surfaces of constant density, and I was just wondering if the conditions

[tex]\nabla p \times \nabla \rho = 0[/tex]

and

[tex]p = p(\rho)[/tex]

are equivalent, or if the first condition is more general.

The answer to your question is basically yes. One way to see this is to note that if the functions' gradients are everywhere proportional, then the functions' level surfaces are identical. So (at least in local patches) each must be a function of the other.

wpress said:
The answer to your question is basically yes. One way to see this is to note that if the functions' gradients are everywhere proportional, then the functions' level surfaces are identical. So (at least in local patches) each must be a function of the other.

Okay, thank you. Is there a global version of this, or does it generally fail to hold globally? I think I see that in regions where the gradients do not vanish, you can derive an explicit formula for the value of f as a function of the value of g, or vice-versa.

FAQ: Grad f is proportional to grad g

1. What does it mean for "grad f is proportional to grad g"?

When we say that "grad f is proportional to grad g", it means that the gradient of function f is directly related to the gradient of function g. This can also be interpreted as the two functions having the same directional derivative at every point.

2. How is the proportionality between grad f and grad g determined?

The proportionality between grad f and grad g is determined by the constant of proportionality, which is the ratio of the derivatives of the two functions at a given point. This constant is also known as the gradient factor.

3. What is the significance of "grad f is proportional to grad g" in mathematics?

This statement is significant in mathematics because it provides a useful tool for analyzing functions and their properties. It allows us to make conclusions about the relationship between two functions based on their gradients, and can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How can "grad f is proportional to grad g" be used in real-world applications?

The concept of "grad f is proportional to grad g" is applicable in many real-world scenarios. For example, in physics, it can be used to analyze the flow of electric or magnetic fields, while in economics, it can help to understand the relationship between two economic variables. It can also be applied in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum of a function.

5. Are there any limitations to "grad f is proportional to grad g"?

Yes, there are some limitations to this statement. It only holds true when the two functions have the same directional derivative at every point, which may not always be the case. Also, the concept of proportionality does not take into account the actual values of the functions, only their derivatives. Therefore, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with other mathematical tools for a complete analysis of functions.