Grade 11 musical instrument project

In summary, the frequency of a chime bar is inversely proportional to the square of the length of the chime.
ta4294
Grade 11 musical instrument project need help!

Homework Statement

I am making chime bars for my project.
My partner and I were working on it today and we cut our first chime bar and used visual analyzer to figure out the frequency of sound produced by hitting our first chime bar. We found that it was 410 Hz (using Visual analyzer 2011) (it soudned very close to an A flat when we compared it to an online tuning fork). We the measured the length of our chime bar and it was 42 cm exactly. We then wanted to produce a chime bar that had a frequency of 493.92 ( a B). We cut another piece of pipe of length 35 cm which is what we determined using the F1L1=F2L2 formula . ( (410Hz)(42cm)=(493.92Hz)(L2) , we then solved for L2 which was approximately 34.9 cm) After cutting the new copper pipe at 35cm, we tested its frequency on Visual analyzer 2011. We had used the exact same type of pipe that we had cut our first A flat chime bar from (they both came from the same 6foot sample ) we were holding both of them at their nodes, and we were hitting the chime bar with the same material at their respective antinodes. But the frequency of our 35cm bar came out at 570 Hz which was way off our calculations. I was wondering what might have gone wrong?

Homework Equations

f1l1=f2l2
f=frequency l=length

The Attempt at a Solution

(410Hz)(42cm)=(493.92Hz)(L2)
L2=34.86

Yet chime bar of L2 produces a frequency of 570 Hz not 493.92

Physics news on Phys.org

Basically I see 2 possibilities.

1. You used a different pipe (material, thickness, diameter).

2. You made a mistake in the length.
If I calculate the length that corresponds to 570 Hz, I get 30 cm.
Since it was supposed to be 35 cm, that kind of looks like a mistake of exactly 5 cm...

I like Serena said:
Basically I see 2 possibilities.

1. You used a different pipe (material, thickness, diameter).

2. You made a mistake in the length.
If I calculate the length that corresponds to 570 Hz, I get 30 cm.
Since it was supposed to be 35 cm, that kind of looks like a mistake of exactly 5 cm...

i cut both chime bars (the first one and the second one ) BOTH from the same piece of 6 foot pipe that i bought at the store. I measured my cut piece and it was in fact 34.8 and producing a sound of 570Hz instead of your proposed 30 cm which I agree is what should be the "theoretical value" according to the calcuation. i was looking aroudn the internet and foudn this equation that proposes that L2/L1= square root(f1)/ square root(F2) ... so basically is length inversely proportionate to the root of the frequency? I tried working the numbers out and when L2= 42* ( sqrt(410)/sqrt (570)) <-- (rearranged the aforementioned formula and solved for L2, plugging in the variables that stated in my original problem) i got 35.5! which makes sense because my 35 cm bar was producing 570 Hz... HAVE I BEEN USING THE WRONG EQUATION THE ENTIRE TIME?!

Yep, looks like you've been using the wrong equation. The frequency is inversely proportional to the square of the length of the chime, or
[tex]F_1 {L_1}^2 = F_2 {L_2}^2[/tex]
which is essentially the 2nd equation you found.

eumyang said:
Yep, looks like you've been using the wrong equation. The frequency is inversely proportional to the square of the length of the chime, or
[tex]F_1 {L_1}^2 = F_2 {L_2}^2[/tex]
which is essentially the 2nd equation you found.

and is this true for like everything? stupid question i know but were learning sound waves and our teacher told us that it was a linear inverse relationship between the frequency and length of something? or is this equation only for chime bars... (i have a feeling its not)

ta4294 said:
i cut both chime bars (the first one and the second one ) BOTH from the same piece of 6 foot pipe that i bought at the store. I measured my cut piece and it was in fact 34.8 and producing a sound of 570Hz instead of your proposed 30 cm which I agree is what should be the "theoretical value" according to the calcuation. i was looking aroudn the internet and foudn this equation that proposes that L2/L1= square root(f1)/ square root(F2) ... so basically is length inversely proportionate to the root of the frequency? I tried working the numbers out and when L2= 42* ( sqrt(410)/sqrt (570)) <-- (rearranged the aforementioned formula and solved for L2, plugging in the variables that stated in my original problem) i got 35.5! which makes sense because my 35 cm bar was producing 570 Hz... HAVE I BEEN USING THE WRONG EQUATION THE ENTIRE TIME?!

I've looked it up on wikipedia and found the following article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance.
It seems to me that the ratio between length and frequency is linear.

In the article you can see that an "open" pipe of negligible diameter has a resonance frequency of:

[tex]f = \frac {n v} {2 L} = \frac {n \times 343 \frac m s} {2 \times 0.42 m} = n \times 408 Hz[/tex]

where n is a positive integer (n=1,2,3,...).

This matches your initial measurement with a chime of length 42 cm and with the "root" tone.

For a length of 35 cm we get:

[tex]f = \frac {n v} {2 L} = \frac {n \times 343 \frac m s} {2 \times 0.35 m} = n \times 490 Hz[/tex]

which matches what you were trying to achieve.

Is it possible your pipe is for instance "closed" on one end?

Related to Grade 11 musical instrument project

1. What is the purpose of the Grade 11 musical instrument project?

The purpose of the Grade 11 musical instrument project is to provide students with an opportunity to explore the principles of sound and music through the creation of their own musical instrument. This project allows students to apply their knowledge of physics and mathematics in a creative and practical way.

2. What materials are typically used in the Grade 11 musical instrument project?

The materials used in the Grade 11 musical instrument project vary depending on the type of instrument being created. However, common materials include wood, metal, plastic, and various types of strings. Students may also incorporate recycled materials or experiment with unconventional materials to create unique sounds.

3. How is the Grade 11 musical instrument project graded?

The grading criteria for the Grade 11 musical instrument project typically includes the creativity and originality of the instrument, the quality of sound produced, and the application of scientific principles. Teachers may also assess students on their presentation and documentation of the project.

4. Are students required to have prior musical or scientific knowledge for this project?

No, students do not need to have prior musical or scientific knowledge to participate in the Grade 11 musical instrument project. This project is designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of sound and music, and provides an opportunity for hands-on learning and experimentation.

5. Can students work in groups for the Grade 11 musical instrument project?

This may vary depending on the teacher's preferences, but typically students are encouraged to work in groups for the Grade 11 musical instrument project. Collaborating with peers allows students to share ideas, skills, and resources, and can also lead to more complex and innovative instrument creations.