Gradient delta f of f= z^-1 * (sqrt((9x^2*y^2))

If it's the latter, then f(1+∆x,4+∆y,10+∆z) = 0.5 + 0.18∆x + 0.08∆y - 0.05∆z :wink:In summary, the question is asking to find the vector ∇f at point (1,4,10), which is equal to (0.18, 0.08, -0.05).
Unemployed

Homework Statement

Find delta f of f=Z^-1 * Sqrt(9x^2*y^2)
at point (1,4,10)

Homework Equations

f =f+(fx*delta x )+(fydelta y)+(fz*delta z)

The Attempt at a Solution

fx = 9*2x/(z*(2*sqrt(9x^2*y^2)) =.18 plugging in (1,4,10)
fy=2y/(z*(2*sqrt(9x^2*y^2)) =.08
fz=(sqrt(9x^2*y^2) ) *-z^-2=-.05

f=.5

Where do you get the delta x, y, and z from. I plugged in 1,4,10 in these equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Unemployed! :smile:

(have a grad: ∇ and a delta: ∆ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm not sure what the question is :redface:

are you being asked to find the vector ∇f at (1,4,10),

or to find the number f(1+∆x,4+∆y,10+∆z) ? :confused:

If it's the former, then (assuming your figures are correct) ∇f is simply the vector (0.18,0.08,-0.05) :wink:

FAQ: Gradient delta f of f= z^-1 * (sqrt((9x^2*y^2))

1. What is the gradient of f?

The gradient of f is the vector quantity that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase in f. In this case, the gradient of f is given by the equation z^-1 * (sqrt((9x^2*y^2)).

2. How do you calculate the gradient of f?

To calculate the gradient of f, you first need to find the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable (in this case, x and y). Then, you can plug these values into the gradient formula:
∇f = (∂f/∂x)i + (∂f/∂y)j, where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively.

3. What is the significance of the gradient?

The gradient is an important concept in multivariate calculus and is used to optimize functions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps us find the direction of maximum increase or decrease of a function, and can also aid in solving optimization problems.

4. How does the delta notation affect the gradient of f?

The delta notation (Δ) represents a small change in a variable. In the context of the gradient, it indicates the direction and magnitude of the change in the function. In this equation, the Δf represents the change in f, while the Δx and Δy represent the changes in the variables x and y, respectively.

5. Can the gradient of f be negative?

Yes, the gradient of f can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction. The gradient can have both positive and negative components, depending on the direction of change in the function.