Graduate program while employed by National Lab

In summary: It's also great to have the opportunity to work on cutting edge research. The only downside is that the salary isn't as high as it could be, and the hours are long (especially if you have a family). But overall, I'm very happy with my decision to come to the lab.
MelioraGator
I will be graduating with a BA in physics and BS in Electrical Engineering in May. I want an optics PhD. I attended an info session on Sandia National Labs at my university, and the recruiters made me think about a PhD program through a national lab. If someone has experience with the National Labs, I would appreciate some advice on applying to a national lab, and the pros and cons of National Lab careers.

All my experience has been with academia and private sector; I have no understanding of these national labs.

Physics news on Phys.org
National Labs do not grant degrees. Most or all have programs where you can do your PhD research there, usually on the same experiment your advisior is working on there. In other cases, sometimes an arrangement can be made where the student's de factor (and sometimes de jure) advisor is a lab staff scientist.

Perhaps you misunderstood what was said. The national lab at Sandia may provide assistance to you in some form should you decide to seek an advanced degree while in their employ. This assistance could come in the form of a grant to cover the cost, a leave of absence in order to pursue your studies, or something else. After all, these labs maintain close contact with various universities.

If you get a fellowship, you can do most of your research at a National Lab. Otherwise, you need for the lab to hook you up with a professor at a degree granting institution the lab collaborates with.

I work at a National Lab as a staff scientist. The group I'm in currently has two Ph.D. students. They are both matriculated at universities where we collaborate and they spend about 50 - 75% of their time here at the lab.

I absolutely love working at a National Lab. I worked in industry for 7 years post-PhD before I came to the lab. Industry is brutal, the lab is much more friendly and I feel like I'm doing important work which I like.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation with a BA in physics and BS in Electrical Engineering! Pursuing a graduate program while employed by a National Lab is a great opportunity and can offer unique benefits to your career as a scientist.

National Labs, such as Sandia National Labs, are renowned for their cutting-edge research and development in various fields of science and technology. They offer a unique environment for scientists to collaborate with other experts, work on challenging projects, and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources. This can be an excellent opportunity for you to gain hands-on experience and contribute to groundbreaking research in your field of interest.

When considering a PhD program through a national lab, it is essential to understand the application process and the specific requirements of the lab you are interested in. Some national labs have partnerships with universities, while others have their own graduate programs. It would be beneficial to reach out to current or former students of the program to get a better understanding of the application process and their experiences.

One of the main advantages of a career at a national lab is the opportunity to work on high-impact projects that have real-world applications. Your research could potentially contribute to solving critical issues and making a significant impact on society. Additionally, working at a national lab can also provide a stable and secure job with competitive salaries and benefits.

However, it's essential to keep in mind that national labs can have a different work culture compared to academia or the private sector. The focus is often on applied research and delivering results within a specific timeline, which can be challenging and fast-paced. It's also worth considering the location of the lab and if it aligns with your personal and professional goals.

In conclusion, pursuing a PhD program through a national lab can be a rewarding experience for a scientist. It's crucial to do your research and understand the application process and the pros and cons of a career at a national lab before making a decision. I would also recommend reaching out to individuals who have experience working at a national lab to get a better understanding of their experiences and to make an informed decision. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Graduate program while employed by National Lab

1. What is a graduate program while employed by a National Lab?

A graduate program while employed by a National Lab refers to a program where a student is simultaneously pursuing a graduate degree while working as an employee at a National Laboratory. This can involve conducting research, attending classes, and completing coursework while also gaining hands-on experience in a laboratory setting.

2. How do I apply for a graduate program while employed by a National Lab?

The application process for a graduate program while employed by a National Lab varies depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, you will need to apply to both the graduate program and the National Lab separately. Some programs may require you to have a job offer from the National Lab before applying, while others may have a specific application process for students interested in the program.

3. What are the benefits of a graduate program while employed by a National Lab?

There are many benefits to participating in a graduate program while employed by a National Lab. Some potential benefits include gaining hands-on experience in a laboratory setting, receiving a salary and benefits, networking with professionals in your field, and potentially having your graduate education funded by the National Lab.

4. Can I pursue any graduate degree while employed by a National Lab?

The specific graduate programs available to you while employed by a National Lab will depend on the institution and the specific program. Some National Labs may have partnerships with certain universities or offer their own graduate programs in specific fields. It is important to research the specific opportunities available at the National Lab you are interested in.

5. Is it possible to balance the demands of a graduate program and a job at a National Lab?

While it may be challenging, many students are able to successfully balance the demands of a graduate program and a job at a National Lab. Time management and organization skills are key in order to prioritize and complete all tasks and responsibilities. Additionally, some National Labs may offer flexible work schedules or opportunities for remote work to help students manage their workload. It is important to communicate with your supervisor and colleagues to ensure a healthy work-life balance.