Graduate School Question for a Mechanical Engineer

In summary, a graduate program for product design and development does not exist at this time, but an industrial design program may be a good option for someone with an engineering degree.
CanoIsDbo
Hi, I was wondering if a graduate program exists for product design and development? I have searched google, but haven't found the results I wanted. Would there be another name for a program like this or does it not exist at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a mechanical engineer, but you might want to look at an Industrial Design program. They're usually not directly in the engineering program, nor a masters program, but having an engineering degree (and especially a mechanical one) really gives you a legs up.

My friend is putting his M.E. degree to good use by getting his B.F.A. (Bachelor's, Fine Arts) in Industrial Design, and he's rather enjoying it. I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for (esthetics, styling, functional design), but it's probably worth looking into.

matlabdude, did your friend recently graduate with a degree in mech e and than decide to go get his BFA? Do you know why he did it? Also, do you know if it is common for engineers to switch over to industrial design?

Thanks

CanoIsDbo said:
matlabdude, did your friend recently graduate with a degree in mech e and than decide to go get his BFA? Do you know why he did it? Also, do you know if it is common for engineers to switch over to industrial design?

Thanks

My friend graduated from MecE, worked for a year or so, didn't like what he was doing, and then decided to come back to the University (actually, I ran into him while he was killing the summer waiting for school to start up again, and working on campus!)

I asked him why, and he replied that after doing CAD/CAM stuff for a year or so, he realized he wanted to do more with his artsie side, and get more into the product design / esthetics side of things (to merge form--ID--AND function--engineering). I'm not sure how common it is, but the majority of the class (at least at my university) consists of people who started in arts right from the get-go (I have two high school friends that did that as their undergraduate degrees).

An EE / MecE / MatE degree would probably be quite handy for an ID-wannabe, but keep in mind that the only exposure I have to the Industrial Design field is through my friends who took it (well, that and the Macbook Pro I'm typing this on!)

My advice: talk to an advisor / the profs in the industrial design program that you think you'd like to enroll in, and see if it's for you. And remember, my definition of design (esthetics, styling, etc.) may be different than your definition (identify market, make product that works, and then turn it over to the ID types to make it look nice). Good luck!

Last edited:

Related to Graduate School Question for a Mechanical Engineer

1. What is the typical length of a graduate program for mechanical engineering?

The length of a graduate program for mechanical engineering can vary depending on the specific program and the student's course load. However, most programs typically take 2-3 years to complete.

2. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering to pursue a graduate degree in the field?

While having a Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering may give you a strong foundation for graduate studies in the field, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs accept students with undergraduate degrees in related fields such as physics or mathematics.

3. Are there any specific research areas or specializations within mechanical engineering that I should focus on during my graduate studies?

There are many different research areas and specializations within mechanical engineering, such as robotics, materials science, and thermodynamics. It is important to choose a research area that aligns with your interests and career goals. It may also be beneficial to speak with current graduate students or professors in your department to get a better understanding of the available research opportunities.

4. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineering graduates with a graduate degree?

The job prospects for mechanical engineering graduates with a graduate degree are generally very good. Many companies and industries value the advanced technical skills and knowledge that come with a graduate degree. Graduates may also have opportunities for higher positions and higher salaries compared to those with only a Bachelor's degree.

5. Is it possible to work while pursuing a graduate degree in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a graduate degree in mechanical engineering. Many programs offer part-time or online options to accommodate students who are working. However, it is important to carefully consider your schedule and workload to ensure that you can balance both work and school effectively.