Graduating with 2:2 in Physics. What can I do? (Ireland)

Cilda
As the title says, I've found out I've achieved a 2:2 (50%-59% average), and am now considering my options. I've read a lot online about this grade and see too many mixed opinions so I thought I could make a post and see what everyone here thinks. Firstly I would like to state that I would really like to do a Masters in Astrophysics or Medical Physics but see a lot of entry requirements are 2.1 minimum with special exceptions for 2.2.

I understand having talked to my lecturers that this means if I worked in a job that is physics related that it would improve my chances, but what kind of jobs would be best to apply to so I can get into a masters like this?

I don't see many jobs in these sectors that you can even get into with just a undergraduate degree. I am planning to take a year out to make money to fund my masters anyway so I am more than willing to work in this time but is a year enough time?

Another question I have is there anything I can do to improve this grade outside of the university like courses that would show the passion I have for this subject? I see people saying research projects too but would that not be with a university?

Sorry for all the questions it is only now that I'm writing this I see how lost I am. Thanks to anyone who has read this far and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For context I'm a Canadian medical physicist speaking with experience in Canadian and American programs. I understand a 2:2 in your system translates roughly to a 2.0 - 2.9 band on the American 4.0 GPA system.

As you've suggested, your first obstacle is that most graduate schools won't consider an application from a student with a GPA below a 3.0. That's a pretty hard cutoff in a lot of places. So unless you can get your GPA up over that threshold, nothing else is going to make much of a difference. Some schools will let you take a few graduate courses if you enroll as an open studies student and get permission from the instructors, so that might be an option, but you'll have to do the math to see how much a couple of courses, even with perfect marks, will move that GPA needle, not just over the threshold, but into the competitive range. (For medical physics programs this tends to be north of 3.5 these days.)

Further, the peers you'll be seated with in these courses are coming in with much higher GPAs, which generally translates into sharper academic skill sets, which ultimately begs the question, how do you expect perform better than you have historically in courses with more challenging material, in a pool of very talented peers?

Assuming that you can get your GPA into the lower end of the competitive range, one job that could help with medical physics is that of a medical physics assistant or associate. These are essentially people who help with quality control measurements in radiation oncology clinics. It's good work if you can find it. Another tangential position might be a hospital radiation safety officer - responsible for management of the radiation safety program, personnel dose monitoring, etc. Again, good work if you can get it. And these are decent professions in their own right that one can get into with a BSc in physics.

And you're right that research experience helps, (although see previous assumption). Generally this would be through a university, although if you're working or volunteering in a radiation oncology clinic, you could help out with either a research or a clinical project. On the clinical end of things, for example they might need someone to help commission a new piece of technology or develop a new process... probably not publishable, but its representative of the work that medical physicists tend to do.

Likes pinball1970, PeroK, phinds and 3 others
Choppy said:
For context I'm a Canadian medical physicist speaking with experience in Canadian and American programs. I understand a 2:2 in your system translates roughly to a 2.0 - 2.9 band on the American 4.0 GPA system.

As you've suggested, your first obstacle is that most graduate schools won't consider an application from a student with a GPA below a 3.0. That's a pretty hard cutoff in a lot of places. So unless you can get your GPA up over that threshold, nothing else is going to make much of a difference. Some schools will let you take a few graduate courses if you enroll as an open studies student and get permission from the instructors, so that might be an option, but you'll have to do the math to see how much a couple of courses, even with perfect marks, will move that GPA needle, not just over the threshold, but into the competitive range. (For medical physics programs this tends to be north of 3.5 these days.)

Further, the peers you'll be seated with in these courses are coming in with much higher GPAs, which generally translates into sharper academic skill sets, which ultimately begs the question, how do you expect perform better than you have historically in courses with more challenging material, in a pool of very talented peers?

Assuming that you can get your GPA into the lower end of the competitive range, one job that could help with medical physics is that of a medical physics assistant or associate. These are essentially people who help with quality control measurements in radiation oncology clinics. It's good work if you can find it. Another tangential position might be a hospital radiation safety officer - responsible for management of the radiation safety program, personnel dose monitoring, etc. Again, good work if you can get it. And these are decent professions in their own right that one can get into with a BSc in physics.

And you're right that research experience helps, (although see previous assumption). Generally this would be through a university, although if you're working or volunteering in a radiation oncology clinic, you could help out with either a research or a clinical project. On the clinical end of things, for example they might need someone to help commission a new piece of technology or develop a new process... probably not publishable, but its representative of the work that medical physicists tend to do.
Thanks for your reply! I would like to clarify I am on the upper end of a 2.2 honours degree and my reason for the shortfall from a 2.1 honours was due to having to work outside of college unlike my other colleagues so I do think I am capable of the workload its just during the exam time my finances were very unforgiving but that is still only an excuse.

For the jobs you mentioned like radiation safety officer or medical physics assistant what kind of skill set would be required to do a job like this? I understand that some hospitals have different systems but would there be anything I could do to help improve my chances of getting this job like being familiar with a global software that is used in these departments?
Thanks again for your reply it really helps me out a bunch :)

Cilda said:
would show the passion I have for this subject
I would not make that the centerpiece of your application.
  • Desire and ability are two different things
  • It exposes you to the question "if you are so passionate, why did you do so poorly?"
  • That you might want something is no justification for me to have to give it to you.

Likes Mayhem
Cilda said:
or the jobs you mentioned like radiation safety officer or medical physics assistant what kind of skill set would be required to do a job like this? I understand that some hospitals have different systems but would there be anything I could do to help improve my chances of getting this job like being familiar with a global software that is used in these departments?
While the details will obviously vary, generally for an MPA, you're looking for someone with an experimentalist skill set: measurement skills and data analysis, strong technical skills in using a wide array of software, programming skills, effective communication, meticulous with record keeping and organization.

For an RSO, they generally look for someone who has a decent background knowledge of radiation physics and the legislation that applies in the region of employment. A lot of the job involves record keeping, safety audits, performing surveys using survey meters and GM detectors, reviewing/updating procedures, leading incident investigations (say for example a staff member's personal dosimeter come back with a high reading but no abnormal event was reported... the RSO team will conduct interviews, surveys, procedure reviews etc. to figure out why).

Are RSOs licensed in Canada or for that matter Ireland? I believe they are in the US, at least at the higher levels. I am not sure one can just become one fresh out of school.

Based on @Choppy 's description of responsibilities, I'd say that's a job based on qualification experience in a junior role - OJT under the supervision of the actual RSO.

Vanadium 50 said:
Are RSOs licensed in Canada or for that matter Ireland? I believe they are in the US, at least at the higher levels. I am not sure one can just become one fresh out of school.
For sure there's a process. In Canada you have to pass an examination administered by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. But it's common practice to hire people into the role before they take the examination. It's usually a condition of employment that they take and pass the exam in a certain timeframe.

Likes gmax137 and Vanadium 50
Choppy said:
Actually I think that's a bit low. From the sources I've seen, a 2:2 translates roughly from a 3.0 (50%-59.9%) to a 3.3 (60%-64.9%).