Graph Curves in the Complex Plane

In summary: In this case, the two fixed points are 2i and -2i, so the locus is an ellipse with foci at 2i and -2i. This can be confirmed by graphing the equation in the complex plane. In summary, the conversation discusses how to graph the locus represented by the equation |z+2i| + |z-2i| = 6, which is an ellipse with foci at 2i and -2i. The process involves moving one radical to the other side, squaring both sides, and simplifying to get the equation in final form. The concept of an ellipse and its definition as the locus of points with a constant sum of distances from two fixed points is also
msd213
Homework Statement [/b]

Graph the locus represented by the following.

[tex]\left|z+2i\right| + \left|z-2i\right|[/tex] = 6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z = x + iy so

z-2i = x + (y-2)i and z+2i = x + (y-2)i

So I have:

sqrt(x^2 + (y-2)^2) + sqrt(x^2 + (y+2)^2) = 6

This seems correct but I don't know how to put this in a more manageable form to graph it.

Physics news on Phys.org
msd213 said:
Homework Statement [/b]

Graph the locus represented by the following.

[tex]\left|z+2i\right| + \left|z-2i\right|[/tex] = 6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z = x + iy so

z-2i = x + (y-2)i and z+2i = x + (y-2)i

So I have:

sqrt(x^2 + (y-2)^2) + sqrt(x^2 + (y+2)^2) = 6

This seems correct but I don't know how to put this in a more manageable form to graph it.

Move one radical to the other side, then square both sides. After doing this, you'll be able to eliminate several terms, and do some other simplification to get one radical on one side. Square both sides again to get this in final form.

The graph you get should be an ellipse with 2i and -2i as the foci.

Mark44 said:
Move one radical to the other side, then square both sides. After doing this, you'll be able to eliminate several terms, and do some other simplification to get one radical on one side. Square both sides again to get this in final form.

The graph you get should be an ellipse with 2i and -2i as the foci.

Mark44 knows this because he knows that |a- b|, geometrically, is the distance between the points a and b in the complex plane, and that an ellipse is defined by the property that the total distance from a point on the ellipse to the two foci is a constant.

HallsofIvy said:
Mark44 knows this because he knows that |a- b|, geometrically, is the distance between the points a and b in the complex plane, and that an ellipse is defined by the property that the total distance from a point on the ellipse to the two foci is a constant.

Oh! I see now, thank you.

HallsofIvy said:
Right. One definition of an ellipse is that it is the locus of points P such that the sum of the distances from P to two fixed points (the foci) is constant.

FAQ: Graph Curves in the Complex Plane

1. What is a graph curve in the complex plane?

A graph curve in the complex plane is a representation of a mathematical function or equation in two dimensions. It consists of a set of points plotted on the complex plane, where the x-coordinate represents the real part and the y-coordinate represents the imaginary part.

2. How do you plot a graph curve in the complex plane?

To plot a graph curve in the complex plane, you first need to identify the function or equation you want to graph. Then, choose a range of values for the real and imaginary parts and plug them into the equation to calculate the corresponding points. Finally, plot these points on the complex plane and connect them to create the curve.

3. What are some common types of graph curves in the complex plane?

Some common types of graph curves in the complex plane include straight lines, circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These curves can be created by different equations or functions, and they can have various shapes and orientations.

4. How are graph curves in the complex plane useful in science?

Graph curves in the complex plane are useful in science because they allow us to visualize and analyze mathematical relationships between variables. They can help us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems and phenomena, such as electrical circuits, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can graph curves in the complex plane have complex values?

Yes, graph curves in the complex plane can have complex values. In fact, the complex plane is specifically designed to represent and work with complex numbers, which include both real and imaginary parts. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of mathematical relationships and phenomena.