Graph that models one but not both

In summary, the discussion is about proving the non-equivalence of two sentences by exhibiting a graph that models one but not both of them. The correct solution is the empty graph, as a non-empty structure would result in the derivation of $\exists xR(x,x)$ from each sentence. It is also mentioned that Definition 2.13 requires the underlying set of a structure to be non-empty and that it is incorrect to say that one sentence derives another based on a particular structure. Instead, it should be said that one sentence is a consequence of another, meaning that it is true in all models. In this case, both sentences are false in every graph due to the irreflexivity of the graph relation.
Andrei1
Here is an exercise from Shawn Hedman's course of logic, like all others I have posted.
Show that the sentences $\forall x \exists y\forall z(R(x,y)\wedge R(x,z)\wedge R(y,z))$ and $\exists x\forall y\exists z(R(x,y)\wedge R(x,z)\wedge R(y,z))$ are not equivalent by exhibiting a graph that models one but not both of these sentences.
I would say that only the empty graph is the correct solution, because if a structure is not empty then I can derive $\exists xR(x,x)$ from each of the given sentences.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei said:
I would say that only the empty graph is the correct solution, because if a structure is not empty then I can derive $\exists xR(x,x)$ from each of the given sentences.
You are basically right, but here is a couple of remarks. Definition 2.13 (in the 2006 edition) requires that the underlying set of a structure is nonempty, so the empty graph is not a structure. Second, it is wrong to say about two sentences A and B that A derives B if some structure has some property. We can say that B is a consequence of A, but this is irrespective of any particular structure (it means that M models B if M models A for all models M). What is the case here is that $\exists x\,R(x,x)$ is the consequence of either of the two given formulas, so these formulas are false in every graph (because the graph relation is supposed to be irreflexive: p. 66).

FAQ: Graph that models one but not both

1. Can a graph model only one variable and not both?

Yes, a graph can represent a relationship between two variables where one variable is dependent on the other while the other variable remains constant.

2. How can you tell if a graph models only one variable?

If the graph has a straight line or a curve that does not change when the other variable varies, then it represents only one variable.

3. What is an example of a graph that models one but not both?

A graph showing the relationship between distance and time for a car traveling at a constant speed would only model one variable, as the time variable remains constant while the distance variable changes.

4. Can a graph that models only one variable still be useful?

Yes, a graph that models one variable can still provide valuable information about the relationship between the two variables and can help in making predictions or understanding patterns.

5. Is it possible for a graph to model both variables at the same time?

Yes, a graph can model both variables simultaneously if there is a direct relationship between the two variables, where one variable affects the other as it changes.