Graph Theory Proof: Connectivity of G Proven

Thank you for pointing out my mistake. In summary, if a graph G has precisely two vertices x and y of odd degree, and a new graph H is formed by adding an edge xy, then if H is connected, G is also connected. This is proven by showing that any two vertices connected in H are also connected in G, and by showing that if G is not connected, then neither is H.
annie122
[SOLVED]Graph theory proof

The graph G has precisely two vertices x and y of odd degree. A new graph of multigraph H is formed from G by adding an edge xy. If H is connected, prove that G is connected.

Please check my following proof for this problem.

Since G has exactly two odd vertices, there is an Euler walk between x and y.
Denote this walk by xEy, where E is a string of vertices.

A walk between two vertices in H either (1)contains edge xy or (2)does not contain edge xy.

(1)Let a, b be two vertices connected via edge xy, so aAxyBb, A and B being strings of vertices.
But then there is a walk from a to b in G, by way of aAxEyBb.

(2)If a walk between two vertices that does not contain edge xy exists in H, it also exists in G.

Hence, any two vertices connected in H are connected in G. Therefore, if H is connected, G is connected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yuuki said:
The graph G has precisely two vertices x and y of odd degree. A new graph of multigraph H is formed from G by adding an edge xy. If H is connected, prove that G is connected.
A walk between two vertices in H either (1)contains edge xy or (2)does not contain edge xy.
(1)Let a, b be two vertices connected via edge xy, so aAxyBb, A and B being strings of vertices.

(2)If a walk between two vertices that does not contain edge xy exists in H, it also exists in G.
Hence, any two vertices connected in H are connected in G. Therefore, if H is connected, G is connected.

Frankly I have no idea how that argument works.

Where have you used "G has precisely two vertices x and y of odd degree"?

If \(\displaystyle G\) is not connected then it is the union of at least two components.
Because each component is a sub-graph and any graph has an even number of odd verticies, then \(\displaystyle x\&~y\) belong to the same component.

So how would adding another edge \(\displaystyle xy\) to \(\displaystyle G\) connect it?

Yuuki said:

I used it here.
But I now realize this is a big mistake, because the argument

a graph has two odd vertices [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] the graph has an Euler walk

is valid only for connected graphs.
I can't use this assumption because that is precisely what I'm trying to prove.

As for the other argument, I tried to separate it into binary cases.
To use the (wrong) Euler circuit argument.So,

G is not connected.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] There are at least two components.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Since each component is connected, there must be an even number of odd vertices.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] x and y must belong to the same component because there are only two odd vertices in G.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Connecting x and y will not connect disjoint components.

Hence, if G is not connected, neither is H, which proves the assumption by contraposition?

Yuuki said:
G is not connected.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] There are at least two components.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Since each component is connected, there must be an even number of odd vertices.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] x and y must belong to the same component because there are only two odd vertices in G.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Connecting x and y will not connect disjoint components.
Hence, if G is not connected, neither is H, which proves the assumption by contraposition?

That is now correct.

Related to Graph Theory Proof: Connectivity of G Proven

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures that represent relationships between objects.

2. What is a proof in graph theory?

In graph theory, a proof is a logical argument that uses mathematical principles and concepts to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem about graphs.

3. What is connectivity in graph theory?

Connectivity in graph theory refers to the measure of how connected the vertices or nodes in a graph are. It is a fundamental concept in graph theory that helps us understand the structure and properties of graphs.

4. How is connectivity of a graph proven?

To prove the connectivity of a graph, we use mathematical techniques such as induction, contradiction, or direct proof. These techniques involve logical reasoning and application of graph theory concepts to demonstrate that the graph is connected.

5. Why is proving the connectivity of a graph important?

Proving the connectivity of a graph is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the graph. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the graph in different situations. Furthermore, it is a crucial step in solving many graph theory problems and can lead to the discovery of new theorems and applications.