Graph using Maple for Astronomy

In summary, the conversation is about seeking help with using Maple to plot the change in equilibrium temperature of Earth based on its albedo. The equation used is \frac{L(1-a)R^2}{4d^2} and the variables may have been assigned incorrectly. The person suggests seeking help on a Maple forum.
I Am Robot

Homework Statement

I am not sure what to do with Maple. I've barely used it at all, but trying to figure out why this won't work with what I have below.

Plot schematically the change in equilibrium temperature of Earth, if its albedo changes from 0.3 to 0.7 (in 0.1 jumps).

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{L(1-a)R^2}{4d^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(This assignment is old btw, just wanted to figure out what I did wrong.)

When I right click on the equation and select plot it assigns my already assigned variables as unknowns between -5 and 5. Really not sure what to do?

[PLAIN]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4474/maplef.jpg

Did I improperly assign the variables or perhaps the function?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Graph using Maple for Astronomy

1. How can I use Maple to plot astronomical data?

Maple has a built-in Astronomy package that contains functions and tools specifically designed for plotting astronomical data. You can access this package by loading it with the command "with(Astronomy)". Once loaded, you can use functions such as "PlotPlanet" and "PlotGalaxy" to plot specific objects, or "Astronomy:-Plot" to create custom plots with your own data.

2. Can I add labels and annotations to my graph in Maple?

Yes, you can add labels, titles, and annotations to your graph in Maple using the "label" and "textplot" commands. These commands allow you to specify the position, text, and formatting of your labels and annotations. You can also customize the appearance of your graph using options such as "title" and "axes" in the plot command.

3. How can I plot multiple data sets on the same graph in Maple?

To plot multiple data sets on the same graph in Maple, you can use the "display" command. This command allows you to combine multiple plots into a single graph. You can also use the "plots:-display" command to customize the appearance of each plot, including options for color, style, and label.

4. Is it possible to create 3D graphs for astronomical data in Maple?

Yes, Maple has a variety of functions and tools for creating 3D graphs for astronomical data. You can use the "Plot3D" command to create a 3D plot of a specific object, or the "Astronomy:-Plot3D" command to create custom 3D plots with your own data. You can also use the "display" command to combine multiple 3D plots into a single graph.

5. Can I export my graph from Maple to use in other programs or publications?

Yes, you can export your graph from Maple in a variety of file formats, including PNG, JPG, and PDF. To do this, you can use the "Export" command, specifying the desired format and file name. You can also customize the size and resolution of your exported graph using options such as "width" and "resolution".