Graphical Analysis removing y-intercept

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the speaker is struggling to remove the y-intercept from their linear fit on a software. They want to do this because it will decrease the % error in their data and make the slope more accurate. They have checked online resources but have not found a solution. They mention that they were able to remove the y=mx but now there is no correlation shown. They express frustration with the software and compare it unfavorably to Excel.
member 392791
Hello, I am trying to remove the y-intercept from my linear fit with this software since my equation is y=mx and NOT y=mx+b, so I need to figure out how to remove the y-intercept so my data will have a smaller % error, because the intercept makes the slope larger than it should be. Any ideas how to do this? (yes I checked online, tutorial, help menu, etc)!

Edit: figured out how to do the y=mx, but now it doesn't show a correlation! This software is way worse than a simple excel..atleast less straightforward

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hhmmm...if we only knew what you are talking about.

Related to Graphical Analysis removing y-intercept

1. What is graphical analysis?

Graphical analysis is a method used in science and mathematics to analyze data and relationships between variables using graphs and charts.

2. How do you remove the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

To remove the y-intercept, you can subtract the value of the y-intercept from each data point on the graph. This will shift the graph so that it passes through the origin with a slope of 0.

3. Why would you want to remove the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

Removing the y-intercept can be useful when analyzing data to focus solely on the relationship between the x and y variables without the influence of a constant term.

4. Is removing the y-intercept always necessary in graphical analysis?

No, removing the y-intercept is not always necessary. It depends on the purpose of the analysis and the specific relationship between the variables being studied.

5. Are there any drawbacks to removing the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

One potential drawback is that it may alter the interpretation of the data and the resulting conclusions. It is important to carefully consider the implications of removing the y-intercept before doing so.