Graphical interpretation of a double integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem involving a double integral and the solution to it. The integral represents the second moment of area about the x-axis and the volume of a solid above a region on a plane. The region in question is bounded by three lines and can be split into two right triangles. The integral evaluates to 192, which can be calculated using the formula for the moment of inertia for a right triangle. The conversation also touches on the geometric interpretation of the double integral and how it relates to the volume of the solid in question.
beer
Hello,

I was helping my friend prepare for a calculus exam today - more or less acting as a tutor.

He had the following question on his exam review:

∫∫R y2 dA

Where R is bounded by the lines x = 2, y = 2x + 4, y = -x - 2I explained to him that R is a triangle formed by all three of those lines. The solution to the integral is 192, which is pretty easy to calculate by hand without a calculator.

He asked me why the solution wasn't just the area of R (two triangles if you split R at the line y = 0) which is 128. I told him its because we are integrating y2 with respect to the given boundaries, and that if we were integrating "1" it would be the area of the region R. However, we then proceeded to integrate "1" with the same boundaries, and the answer was 24, not 128. So I ended up coming up with my own question. I can draw a pretty good geometric interpretation of most integration problems including three dimensional ones given in different coordinate systems... but I feel like I'm missing something primitive here. Can anyone help me develop a geometric picture of what this type of double integral is representing?Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get 128?

That's a fantastic question. I multiplied the "divided region" together, rather than added it. The area of R is 24. :p

We didn't catch on to that earlier, but it is kind of irrelevant to my primary question.

Where does y2 fit in - graphically speaking - with the region R?

Yes I'm familiar with those concepts. Interestingly some more complex integrals are easier for me to visualize. I'm likely over thinking this and confusing myself.

y2 represents a parabola (or more technically a parabolic cylinder) that is orthogonally oriented to the triangle formed by the lines given by R. Such a shape would possesses no volume in the "real world"... it would be two shapes orthogonal to one another; a triangle and a parabola, whose intersection forms a line.

That is what is confusing me.

I drew it out by hand and by golly I think I've got it.

This is the "projection" of the triangle on to the parabolic cylinder, yes? So the "stretched" area of the triangle as it would appear on the parabola z = y2Part of my confusion was probably incorrectly calculating the area of the region with my friend earlier. As integrating the same region with respect to 1 (or any other constant) would project the region on to a flat surface parallel to the region itself, thus yielding a solution to the integral equal to the area of the region itself...

:oops: Now I feel only slightly ashamed.

beer said:
Hello,

I was helping my friend prepare for a calculus exam today - more or less acting as a tutor.

He had the following question on his exam review:

∫∫R y2 dA

Where R is bounded by the lines x = 2, y = 2x + 4, y = -x - 2I explained to him that R is a triangle formed by all three of those lines. The solution to the integral is 192, which is pretty easy to calculate by hand without a calculator.

He asked me why the solution wasn't just the area of R (two triangles if you split R at the line y = 0) which is 128. I told him its because we are integrating y2 with respect to the given boundaries, and that if we were integrating "1" it would be the area of the region R. However, we then proceeded to integrate "1" with the same boundaries, and the answer was 24, not 128.So I ended up coming up with my own question. I can draw a pretty good geometric interpretation of most integration problems including three dimensional ones given in different coordinate systems... but I feel like I'm missing something primitive here. Can anyone help me develop a geometric picture of what this type of double integral is representing?Thanks!

This integral can also represent the second moment of area about the x-axis. The second moment of area is sometimes referred to as the moment of inertia.

In this case, since the region R straddles the x-axis, evaluating the double integral will calculate the combined second moment of area for the two right triangles, referenced to their common base, which are formed when the region R is intersected by the x-axis.

The moment of inertia for a right triangle about its base Iy = (1/12)bh3

In this case, the length of the common base for the two triangles is b = 4, and the height of the upper triangle is h = 8 while the lower triangle height is h = 4.

Thus

Iy = Iy upper + Iy lower = (1/12)*4*(83 + 43)

Iy = 192

Likes beer
beer said:
Can anyone help me develop a geometric picture of what this type of double integral is representing?
Thanks!

What a double integral generally represents is the volume of a solid above a region on a plane. The solid you have here is called a cylindrical surface. The equation of it is [itex]z=y^2[/itex]. This is a parabola. However, since there is no x, we can let x vary from negative infinity to infinity. Doing so moves this parabola forward and backward parallel to the x-axis. The region "carved out" is the surface. And the double integral is the volume under that surface above the triangular region R.

Related to Graphical interpretation of a double integral?

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume under a surface, or the area between two surfaces, in three-dimensional space.

What is the graphical interpretation of a double integral?

The graphical interpretation of a double integral is a representation of the area or volume being calculated as the sum of infinitely many small rectangles or boxes. The height of each rectangle or box is determined by the function being integrated, and the width and length are determined by the limits of integration.

How is a double integral evaluated graphically?

To evaluate a double integral graphically, you would first sketch the region of integration and then divide it into small rectangles or boxes. Next, you would find the value of the function at each corner of the rectangle or box and multiply it by the area of the rectangle or box. Finally, you would sum up all of these products to find the total area or volume.

What is the relationship between a double integral and a single integral?

A double integral is essentially the sum of multiple single integrals. While a single integral calculates the area under a curve in two dimensions, a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in three dimensions.

What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the mass of an object with varying density, determine the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and find the average value of a function over a certain region, among other things.