Graphing The ΔV between three charged metal electrodes

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving graphing the potential difference between three charged metal electrodes at different distances. The problem provides a hint to assume that V=0 when x=0. The person attempted a solution using the equation Ceq=(1/c1+1/c2) and got a potential difference of 280 kV, but was told it was incorrect. They then considered using the equation ΔV=∫Esdx where E=η/ε0 and found a potential difference of 140 kV at 1 cm. They concluded that the potential difference should remain constant at 140 kV between 1 cm and 2 cm, and then drop to 0 at 3 cm. The conversation also
IslandHead

Homework Statement

Graphing The ΔV between three charged metal electrodes, in regards to x distance
30.P41.jpg

Here is the the picture I'm given with the problem. The hint tells me to assume that V=0 when x=0.

Homework Equations

C=Q/ΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the electrodes looked kinda like a funky capacitor in series, so using Ceq=(1/c1+1/c2) I got ΔV=280 kV across the system. Mastering physics told me this is wrong. I am not sure if even know what equations to use on this one.

The other option maybe to use ΔV=∫Esdx where E=η/ε0
With that ΔV=140 at 1 cm, it then should drop down to zero for 2>x>1, for electric fields can't occur in the middle of a conductor, and ΔV=0 at 3.

We didn't go over this much in class and I'm having trouble finding the relevant parts in my textbook.

I solved it:

With that ΔV=140kV at 1 cm, it then should rate of change should be to zero for 2cm>x>1cm so it goes it remains at 140kV, for electric fields can't occur in the middle of a conductor, and it goes to ΔV=0 at 3cm.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Great job on solving the problem! It's important to understand the concept of electric fields in conductors and how they affect the potential difference between electrodes. Your approach of using the integral of the electric field to calculate the potential difference is correct.

One thing to note is that the electric field is actually not zero in the middle of a conductor, but it is very small due to the high conductivity of the material. This is why the potential difference remains constant between 1cm and 2cm, as the change in electric field is negligible.

Overall, your solution shows a good understanding of the concepts involved. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Graphing The ΔV between three charged metal electrodes

What is the purpose of graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes?

The purpose of graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes is to visually represent the changes in voltage (ΔV) between the three electrodes. This can help to understand the electric potential and the movement of charged particles within the system.

What are the materials needed for graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes?

The materials needed for graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes are a voltmeter, three charged metal electrodes, and a graphing tool such as a computer software or graph paper.

How do you set up the experiment for graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes?

To set up the experiment, first connect the voltmeter to one of the charged metal electrodes. Then, measure and record the voltage between each electrode. Repeat this process for all three electrodes, keeping one electrode as the reference point. Finally, plot the voltage values on a graph.

What information can be obtained from graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes?

By graphing the ΔV between three charged metal electrodes, we can obtain information about the electric potential and the movement of charged particles within the system. This can help us to understand the behavior of the electric field and the distribution of charge within the system.

How does the distance between the electrodes affect the ΔV?

The distance between the electrodes can affect the ΔV as it can change the electric potential and the movement of charged particles within the system. As the distance between the electrodes increases, the voltage between them may decrease due to the decrease in electric potential. This relationship can be observed by graphing the ΔV between different distances of the electrodes.

Back