Graphing the Power dissipated in a resistor

guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Graph the power dissipated in each resistor as a function of its resistance.
Relevant Equations
P=VI
I am solving #5 in the attached image.

So I am graphing the power dissipated by a series circuit which : (a) Contains a constant voltage source and a variable resistor, R (b) Contains a constant current source and a variable resistor.

It makes sense to me to just use the power equation that allows me to define the constant from each series and the power will be determined by what relationship R shares with P in said equation.

Just wondering if I have the right approach.

IMG_098E9BFE4AFE-1.jpeg

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Why are you doubting your method? How could you verify yourself that you are correct?

Likes vanhees71

Related to Graphing the Power dissipated in a resistor

What is the formula for power dissipation in a resistor?

The power dissipated in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = V^2 / R, where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage across the resistor in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using P = I^2 * R, where I is the current through the resistor in amperes.

How do you graph power dissipation as a function of voltage?

To graph power dissipation as a function of voltage, you plot the voltage (V) on the x-axis and the power (P) on the y-axis. Using the formula P = V^2 / R, you can calculate the power for various voltage values and plot these points on the graph. The resulting graph will be a parabola opening upwards, indicating that power increases quadratically with voltage.

What does the graph of power dissipation vs. voltage look like?

The graph of power dissipation (P) versus voltage (V) for a resistor is a parabola that opens upwards. This is because the power dissipation is proportional to the square of the voltage (P = V^2 / R). As the voltage increases, the power dissipation increases quadratically, resulting in a curve that becomes steeper as voltage increases.

How do you graph power dissipation as a function of current?

To graph power dissipation as a function of current, you plot the current (I) on the x-axis and the power (P) on the y-axis. Using the formula P = I^2 * R, you can calculate the power for various current values and plot these points on the graph. The resulting graph will be a parabola opening upwards, indicating that power increases quadratically with current.

What factors affect the shape of the power dissipation graph?

The primary factors that affect the shape of the power dissipation graph are the resistance (R) of the resistor and the variable being plotted (voltage or current). The resistance determines the steepness of the parabola: a higher resistance results in a less steep curve for P vs. V and a steeper curve for P vs. I. The choice between voltage and current as the variable will change the specific formula used (P = V^2 / R or P = I^2 * R), but both result in a parabolic shape.