Graphing Trigonometric Functions Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in graphing csc, sec, and cot functions compared to sin, cos, and tan functions. The speaker explains that for the first three functions, they found the values of pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, and 2pi and then drew a smooth curve through them. However, this method does not work for csc, sec, and cot functions as they are not continuous and "break up" at certain points. The speaker also mentions that tan and cot functions are discontinuous at certain points.
DLxX
Ok I can graph sin(x) , cos(x) , and tan(x) pretty easily, but I'm having a hard time graphing the csc, sec, and cot ones. For the first three I just found the values of pi/2 pi 3pi/2 and 2pi. So for example pi/2 for sin(x) would be sin 90 or sin pi/2 which is equal to 1. I then just put a dot at 1 and did the same thing for the rest of the angles in radian measure and then just draw a smooth curve through them, but how do I do this with csc, sec, and cot?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider what happens to csc([itex] \Theta [/itex]) When Sin([itex] \Theta [/itex])=0 .

In other words, you can't draw "smooth" graphs for sec(x) and csc(x) (or for that matter tan(x) and cot(x)). They aren't "smooth"- they aren't even continuous.

You should have seen that when u graphed "tan".You said u graphed it,so u have noticed that is "blows up" in certain points (namely where the cosine is zero).It's discontinuous as well.

Daniel.

[tex] \tan{x} [/tex], 'breaks up' at [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}(2k-1)[/tex], and [tex] \cot{x} [/tex], 'breaks up' at [tex] k\pi[/tex].

FAQ: Graphing Trigonometric Functions Question

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. These functions include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

2. Why is graphing trigonometric functions important?

Graphing trigonometric functions is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of these functions. It also helps us to solve complex problems involving triangles and angles.

3. How do you graph trigonometric functions?

To graph a trigonometric function, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane using the values of the function at different input angles. You can then connect these points to create a smooth curve that represents the function.

4. What are the key features of a graph of a trigonometric function?

The key features of a graph of a trigonometric function include the amplitude, period, and phase shift. The amplitude is the distance between the center line and the peak or trough of the graph, the period is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, and the phase shift is the horizontal displacement of the graph.

5. How can you use the graph of a trigonometric function to solve equations?

The graph of a trigonometric function can help you solve equations by allowing you to easily identify the solutions visually. The x-values of the points where the graph intersects the x-axis represent the solutions to the equation.