Graphs in Physics Homework: How to Start X-Axis at 90

In summary: Otherwise, you would start the x-axis at 90.In summary, there are two methods for correcting the issue of where to start graphs on the x-axis, but it ultimately depends on the preferences of the teacher or instructor. The first method involves starting the x-axis at the first data point (90 in this case), while the second method involves starting the x-axis at x=0 and using a squiggly line to indicate the break before starting at the first data point. Some people use the second method, but it may seem unnecessary if the first data point is significantly different from zero. Ultimately, the choice should be based on which method best presents the data.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Hi, this isn't really a homework assignment but just a question that will help with some of my homeworks I do get given. I am struggling with understanding about where to start graphs on the x-axis. If I plot a graph where I have the values 90,100,110,120,130 and 140 on the x-axis then if I start at zero on the x-axis my graph ends up on one side.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two ways I know of to go about correcting this but have no idea which one to use and why there are two!

First method - start the x-axis at 90 (i.e. where it would normally be x=0) since this is my first data point.

Second method - start the x-axis at x=0 then draw a little squiggly line thing (no idea what they are called) and then start at 90 after the squiggly line.

From looking around online a lot of people seem to do the squiggly line thing but I have no idea why because why would you ever do method 2 when you could do method one? Method two seems pointless and a waste of space on the graph when you can just start your graph at 90 or am I missing something? Which one should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
You use whatever method your teacher/instructor/editor demands you use. In the long run, you'll be relying on analytical methods (curve fitting, least squares, etc.) to describe your data.

Jimmy87 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, this isn't really a homework assignment but just a question that will help with some of my homeworks I do get given. I am struggling with understanding about where to start graphs on the x-axis. If I plot a graph where I have the values 90,100,110,120,130 and 140 on the x-axis then if I start at zero on the x-axis my graph ends up on one side.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two ways I know of to go about correcting this but have no idea which one to use and why there are two!

First method - start the x-axis at 90 (i.e. where it would normally be x=0) since this is my first data point.

Second method - start the x-axis at x=0 then draw a little squiggly line thing (no idea what they are called) and then start at 90 after the squiggly line.

From looking around online a lot of people seem to do the squiggly line thing but I have no idea why because why would you ever do method 2 when you could do method one? Method two seems pointless and a waste of space on the graph when you can just start your graph at 90 or am I missing something? Which one should I use?
You don't mention what the y-values are for the x-range of 90-140.

In any event, it is not always necessary (and often it is counterproductive) to start all x-y plots at (0,0). You want to choose the range of x values and y values which best present the data, which is the reason for making a graph in the first place. :wink:

SteamKing said:
You don't mention what the y-values are for the x-range of 90-140.

In any event, it is not always necessary (and often it is counterproductive) to start all x-y plots at (0,0). You want to choose the range of x values and y values which best present the data, which is the reason for making a graph in the first place. :wink:

Thanks for the answers people. The first y value is close to zero so I could start the y-axis at y = 0. But I don't know why people would put x=0 in with a squiggly line and then start at 90 rather than just starting the x-axis at 90?

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks for the answers people. The first y value is close to zero so I could start the y-axis at y = 0. But I don't know why people would put x=0 in with a squiggly line and then start at 90 rather than just starting the x-axis at 90?
Without seeing a graph drawn with a break in the x-axis, it's hard to say, unless there is information of interest on both sides of the break which is shown.

Related to Graphs in Physics Homework: How to Start X-Axis at 90

1. How do I start the x-axis at 90 degrees on a graph in my physics homework?

To start the x-axis at 90 degrees on a graph in your physics homework, you will need to use a special type of graph called a polar graph. In a polar graph, the x-axis represents the angle in degrees and the y-axis represents the radius or distance from the center point. By starting the x-axis at 90 degrees, you are essentially shifting the starting point of the graph to the right. This can be done by adjusting the settings on your graphing calculator or by manually drawing the graph on graph paper.

2. Why is it important to start the x-axis at 90 degrees in physics graphs?

In physics, it is often necessary to plot data that is represented by angles. By starting the x-axis at 90 degrees, you are able to accurately represent angles that are greater than 90 degrees, which is not possible on a traditional Cartesian graph. Additionally, starting the x-axis at 90 degrees allows for easier visualization and interpretation of data that follows a circular or rotational pattern.

3. Can I start the x-axis at a different angle besides 90 degrees?

Yes, you can start the x-axis at any angle on a polar graph. However, starting at 90 degrees is most common and convenient for visualizing angles in physics problems. Depending on the specific problem or data being graphed, you may need to adjust the starting angle to better represent the data.

4. How do I label the x-axis on a polar graph that starts at 90 degrees?

On a polar graph, the x-axis is usually labeled with the angle in degrees, starting at 90 degrees and increasing in a counterclockwise direction. You can label the x-axis by using the graphing calculator or by manually writing the angle labels on the graph paper. It is also important to include a label or legend to indicate the units of measurement for the x-axis.

5. Can I use a polar graph for all types of data in physics?

No, a polar graph is most commonly used for data that involves angles and circular or rotational motion. It may not be suitable for other types of data, such as linear motion or data that follows a straight line. In those cases, a traditional Cartesian graph may be more appropriate.