Grasp Ideas Easily: ECE Circuit-1, Signals & System

• Thread starter praveena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the speakers discuss methods for understanding and approaching difficult subjects in the field of electronics, specifically circuits and math. They recommend learning to think in math and using online circuit simulators like falstad.com and QUCS to gain a conceptual understanding and visualize equations. They also caution against relying solely on these tools for answers and emphasize the importance of understanding the concepts behind the equations.
praveena
Hai everyone,
I am from india. I am doing my 2nd year (ECE). My department subjects are too tough to study. And i had no idea about Electronics circuit-1, signals & system. These two subjects are like zombies. Those two subjects is full of equations.Can anyone tell me any easy way to understand these subjects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn to think in math. Then a formula becomes an idea, not a problem. Learn to instantly visualize any simple equation to feel the relation it expresses, rather than having to deliberately figure it out.

If you need to translate simple math, like converting a currency, simple math all over the place becomes a hassle.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury and praveena
Almeisan said:
Learn to think in math. Then a formula becomes an idea, not a problem. Learn to instantly visualize any simple equation to feel the relation it expresses, rather than having to deliberately figure it out.

If you need to translate simple math, like converting a currency, simple math all over the place becomes a hassle.
Thank you. yup math occupies everything.

I had a similar issue if the first circuit courses.
I couldn't get my mind to "see" what was going on. I found http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ very helpful. Its just an online circuit simulator. When working on questions I'd quite often build the circuit in there so I could get a conceptual idea of how the circuit was operating, then proceeded to do the maths.

Don't rely on it for getting answers, we knew a few people who ended up flunking circuits courses as he would just build the circuit and pull the answers from there for assignments/labs. He did well on the assignments but bassically got 0's on the exams

Likes praveena
cpscdave said:
I had a similar issue if the first circuit courses.
I couldn't get my mind to "see" what was going on. I found http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ very helpful. Its just an online circuit simulator. When working on questions I'd quite often build the circuit in there so I could get a conceptual idea of how the circuit was operating, then proceeded to do the maths.

Don't rely on it for getting answers, we knew a few people who ended up flunking circuits courses as he would just build the circuit and pull the answers from there for assignments/labs. He did well on the assignments but bassically got 0's on the exams
Thank you sir.This will surely help me to get rid of fear of that subjects.

cpsc has hit the nail on the head.

For some, studying the maths without a conceptual understanding, can make things a whole lot harder.

I know some people here think that understanding the maths is most important to understanding the concept. I don't.If recommend an excellent free circuit simulator called QUCS.

You can build the circuit that you have the problem with, and measure voltages and currents around the circuit. You can change values of components and see what effect this has on voltages and currents. I think this gives a good basis to have an intuitive feel for what is going on.

It also helps with the maths, because QUCS has an excellent equation editor that allows you extract data from the circuit and input it into equations.

It saves a lot of time, because many students struggle and get the wrong answer (which means they have used the wrong process). Working backwards from a correct answer to understand the maths makes a lot more sense to me.

Its a bit like building the circuit for real and measuring the current - you know what the current is, now work out why.

I think that is better, for learning, than starting with a blank sheet of paper and a formula sheet.

Last edited:
Likes praveena
William White said:
cpsc has hit the nail on the head.

For some, studing the maths without a conceptual understanding, can make things a whole lot harder.

I know some people here think that understanding the maths is most important to understanding the concept. I don't.If recommend an excellent free circuit simulator called QUCS.

You can build the circuit that you have the problem with, and measure voltages and currents around the circuit. You can change values of components and see what effect this has on voltages and currents. I think this gives a good basis to have an intuitive feel for what is going on.

It also helps with the maths, because QUCS has an excellent equation editor that allows you extract data from the circuit and input it into equations.

It saves a lot of time, because many students struggle and get the wrong answer (which means they have used the wrong process). Working backwards from a correct answer to understand the maths makes a lot more sense to me.

Its a bit like building the circuit for real and measuring the current - you know what the current is, now work out why.

I think that is better, for learning, than starting with a blank sheet of paper and a formula sheet.
Really i want to thank you.I accept your words"For some, studing the maths without a conceptual understanding, can make things a whole lot harder." :smile:

Likes praveena

FAQ: Grasp Ideas Easily: ECE Circuit-1, Signals & System

1. What is ECE Circuit-1 and why is it important?

ECE Circuit-1, or Electronic Circuit Engineering Circuit Analysis, is an introductory course in electrical and computer engineering that focuses on the analysis and design of circuits using fundamental circuit laws and techniques. It is important because it provides the foundation for understanding more advanced concepts in electrical and computer engineering, and is essential for creating and designing electronic devices that are used in everyday life.

2. What are signals and systems?

Signals and systems refer to the study of how signals (such as electrical, mechanical, or biological signals) are processed, analyzed, and transformed by systems (such as circuits, filters, or control systems). It involves mathematical tools and techniques to understand and manipulate signals and systems for various engineering applications.

3. How can I grasp ideas easily in ECE Circuit-1 and Signals & Systems?

To grasp ideas easily in ECE Circuit-1 and Signals & Systems, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts and principles before moving on to more complex topics. This can be achieved by actively engaging in class, asking questions, practicing problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors if needed. It is also helpful to make connections between theory and real-world applications to better understand the relevance and importance of these concepts.

4. What are some common challenges in learning ECE Circuit-1 and Signals & Systems?

Some common challenges in learning ECE Circuit-1 and Signals & Systems include understanding abstract concepts, applying mathematical tools, and visualizing complex systems. It is also important to have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra, as these subjects are heavily used in this field.

5. How can I use ECE Circuit-1 and Signals & Systems in my career as a scientist?

ECE Circuit-1 and Signals & Systems are essential courses for those pursuing a career in electrical and computer engineering. These concepts are used in a variety of fields, such as telecommunications, signal processing, control systems, and biomedical engineering. As a scientist, you can use your knowledge in these areas to design and develop innovative technologies and solutions to real-world problems.