Gravitation Field between the Earth and Moon

In summary: The ratio of moon to earth mass is given in the problem statement!So, all you need is the distance between earth and moon centers, and that is given in the problem statement.I calculated the distance between the earth and the moon: 3.844 x 10^8 mAccording to the picture, the distance to the L1 point is about 3.844 x 10^8 m.So, there you have it!In summary, the point of zero gravity between the Earth and the Moon, known as L1, is located at a distance of approximately 3.844 x 10^8 meters from the center of the Earth. This point is where the gravitational fields of the Earth and the
rocketgirl93

Homework Statement

There is a point on the line between the centres of the Earth and the moon where their gravitational fields have equal magnitude but are in opposite directions, effectively creating a point of zero gravity. Calculate the distance of this point from the centre of the earth.

gearth = 9.81 ms[itex]^{}-2[/itex]
mearth = 6.02 x10[itex]^{}24[/itex] kg

Homework Equations

F = GMm/d[itex]^{}2[/itex]

g = -GM/d[itex]^{}2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ratio of the inverse square laws Rm[itex]^{}2[/itex]/Re[itex]^{}2[/itex] = Mm/Me
Using F = 0 and gearth = gmoon

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rocketgirl93! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
gearth = 9.81 ms−2
mearth = 6.02 x1024 kg
you'll need a lot more data than that :confused:

Thanks for the hint!

Ok, I'll try find some more, its from this horrific textbook where they don't give you all the constants/data you need at the start of the questions and its scattered throughout the chapter.

rocketgirl93 said:
Thanks for the hint!

Ok, I'll try find some more, its from this horrific textbook where they don't give you all the constants/data you need at the start of the questions and its scattered throughout the chapter.
You mean they expect you to work? How awful!

Hey rocketgirl93! :smile:

Suppose you sky rocketed to this mysterious point...
Shall we give it a name?
Let's call it... L1!
(Yes it's actually called L1. :wink:)

Here's a neat picture!
330px-Lagrange_points2.svg.png

Oh, and just to get this started, how strongly would the moon pull at you?

I take Physics, I'm not afraid to work! It makes it difficult because you don't know what you have to find first and how they want you to approach the questions.

I've found these;

Orbital radius for the Moon: 3.84 x108m
Mass of the Moon: 7.35 x1022kg
Actual Radius of the Earth: 6400km

I like Serena said:
Hey rocketgirl93! :smile:

Shall we give it a name?
Let's call it... L1!

Here's a neat picture!
330px-Lagrange_points2.svg.png

Oh, and just to get this started, how strongly would the moon pull at you?

Hi! Would it pull at you at about 1.64 m/s2? Or at 1.64 x mass?

Good!

Looks like you have all the ingredients you need!
Your attempt was already in the right direction.

So what do you think you should do next?

Edit: how did you arrive at 1.64 m/s2?

I like Serena said:
Shall we give it a name?
Let's call it... L1!
No, it's not.

D H said:
No, it's not.

Oops. You're right.
I forgot for a moment about the centripetal force.

Ah well, it's still a nice picture!

rocketgirl93 said:
I take Physics, I'm not afraid to work! It makes it difficult because you don't know what you have to find first and how they want you to approach the questions.

I've found these;

Orbital radius for the Moon: 3.84 x108m
Mass of the Moon: 7.35 x1022kg
Actual Radius of the Earth: 6400km
You don't need the radius of the Earth to solve this problem. You do need the mass of the Earth. You also need one very important item which you have left out. Hint: Newton's universal law of <what>?

D H said:
You don't need the radius of the Earth to solve this problem. You do need the mass of the Earth. You also need one very important item which you have left out. Hint: Newton's universal law of <what>?

Wouldn't the ratio of the inverse square laws do the trick?

D H said:
You don't need the radius of the Earth to solve this problem.

since she has g, she needs re if she doesn't have G :wink:

I like Serena said:
Wouldn't the ratio of the inverse square laws do the trick?
What is this inverse square law to which you are referring? The original poster hasn't said anything about an inverse square law yet.

D H said:
What is this inverse square law to which you are referring? The original poster hasn't said anything about an inverse square law yet.

It's in the attempt at a solution in the OP.

Ah. I see that now.

So, another hint: If the point is at some distance d from the center of the Earth, how far is it from the center of the Moon?

I like Serena said:
Good!

Looks like you have all the ingredients you need!
Your attempt was already in the right direction.

So what do you think you should do next?

Edit: how did you arrive at 1.64 m/s2?

I didnt know what g for the moon was but I remembered reading somewhere that it is about one sixth of the Earth's g (9.81) so i calculated this figure and guessed

D H said:

Of Gravitation, I posted that in my original solution

tiny-tim said:
since she has g, she needs re if she doesn't have G :wink:

I do have G: 6.67x10^-11

D H said:
Ah. I see that now.

So, another hint: If the point is at some distance d from the center of the Earth, how far is it from the center of the Moon?

radius of the moon + distance between Earth and moon + distance to point from surface of the earth

When you are on surface of the earth, force exerted by the earth,
F=ma= GMearthm/r2earth

F=6.6742x10-11 x 5.97x1024m/(6.38x106)2
F=m(9.7888) m/s2

The moon also exerted the same force according Newton's Gravitational law.
You find the radius where the forces are equal.

rocketgirl93 said:
radius of the moon + distance between Earth and moon + distance to point from surface of the earth
No! Draw a picture.

The distance between the Earth and Moon you cited in post #6 is center-to-center. You don't need the radius of the Earth or the Moon here.

rocketgirl93 said:
I didnt know what g for the moon was but I remembered reading somewhere that it is about one sixth of the Earth's g (9.81) so i calculated this figure and guessed

Of Gravitation, I posted that in my original solution

I do have G: 6.67x10^-11

Note the difference between g and G.
g is the acceleration of gravity at the surface of the earth.
G is the universal constant of gravity.
For this calculation you will not need g and if you want you can use G (which is in your formula), but you can also use your ratio of the inverse square law in which case you won't need G.

You seem to be mixing the radius of the Earth itself and the distance of the equilibrium point to the center of the earth.
Both can be written as re or Re, but they are very different things.

For your problem you won't need the radius of either Earth or moon.
But you do need to find the distance of the equilibrium point to the center of the earth, and also the distance of the equilibrium point to the center of the moon.
Using ratio of the inverse square laws Rm2/Re2 = Mm/Me

This is what you already wrote down and what you can use.
Note that Re and Rm are NOT the radius of either Earth or moon.

Likes simplyphysics

Related to Gravitation Field between the Earth and Moon

1. What is the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon?

The Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon refers to the force of attraction between the two celestial bodies due to their masses. It is the result of the Earth's and Moon's gravitational pull on each other.

2. How is the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon calculated?

The Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the strength of the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon?

The strength of the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon is approximately 1.98 x 10^20 N/kg, which is significantly weaker than the Earth's gravitational field on its surface.

4. How does the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon affect tides?

The Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon is responsible for the tidal forces that cause the ocean's tides. The Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth's oceans is stronger on the side facing the Moon, causing a bulge, while the weaker gravitational pull on the far side of the Earth creates a second bulge. These bulges result in the ocean tides.

5. Can the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon change?

Yes, the Gravitational Field between the Earth and Moon can change over time due to various factors, such as the Moon's orbit changing or the Earth's rotation slowing down. However, these changes are very gradual and not noticeable in our lifetime.