Gravitational acceleration comparison

In summary: Do you know about the Binomial expansion for negative powers? That's usually the trick in these cases where you have one variable ##<<## another. That's almost certainly what you're expected to use here.Yes, I know about the Binomial expansion for negative powers. I'll try that next.Yes, I know about the Binomial expansion for negative powers. I'll try that next.
Ellie Snyder

Homework Statement

Suppose an object of length “l” is located a distance “r” from a gravitating object of mass “M.” From physics you will learn that the gravitational acceleration is GM/r^2. Derive the difference in gravitational acceleration between distance “r” and distance “r+l” from the object. Show that as long as “l” is small compared to “r” (i.e., r >>l), the result is (2GM/r^3)l. Calculate this difference for the following two cases. What would happen to each person?

a). A person of height l=170 cm located r=1000 km from a 1.5 MSun neutron star.

b). The same person a distance 10^10 km (i.e., the width of a Solar System) from a 10^9 MSun black-hole as could be present in the nucleus of a typical galaxy.

Homework Equations

GM/r^2
(2GM/r^3)l

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the difference would just be GM/(r+l)^2 - GM/r^2, and if l was small enough as compared to the other values the difference would be virtually 0. I don't know how the (2GM/r^3)l is derived and that's where I'm stuck. For the two people, would the given values be plugged into the regular gravitational acceleration equation or the one derived for the difference?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You need go be able to make an effort at solving the problem yourself. If necessary, by revising the course material on which the question is based. Do you really know nothing about gravity?

PeroK said:
Welcome to PF!

You need go be able to make an effort at solving the problem yourself. If necessary, by revising the course material on which the question is based. Do you really know nothing about gravity?
I edited to include my initial thought process.

Likes berkeman
Ellie Snyder said:
GM/(r+l)^2 - GM/r^2
Put that over a common denominator and keep solving... :smile:

berkeman said:
Put that over a common denominator and keep solving... :smile:
Do you mean give the two terms a common denominator of r^2(r+l)^2, which yields (r^2-(r+l)^2)/(r^2(r+l)^2)?
Or do you mean put that entire thing over some common denominator?

Ellie Snyder said:
Do you mean give the two terms a common denominator of r^2(r+l)^2, which yields (r^2-(r+l)^2)/(r^2(r+l)^2)?
Or do you mean put that entire thing over some common denominator?

Do you know about the Binomial expansion for negative powers? That's usually the trick in these cases where you have one variable ##<<## another. That's almost certainly what you're expected to use here.

Note that ##\frac{GM}{r^2} > \frac{GM}{(r+l)^2}## so I would set ##a = \frac{GM}{r^2} - \frac{GM}{(r+l)^2}## so you get a positive difference. Then hit this with the Binomial theorem.

Related to Gravitational acceleration comparison

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences due to the force of gravity. It is represented by the symbol 'g' and its value varies depending on the mass and distance of the object from the center of the Earth.

2. How is gravitational acceleration measured?

Gravitational acceleration can be measured using various methods, including a pendulum, a spring scale, or by using the equation g = 9.8 m/s^2. It can also be calculated by measuring the time it takes for an object to fall a certain distance and using the equation d = 1/2gt^2.

3. What is the difference between gravitational acceleration on Earth and other planets?

The value of gravitational acceleration varies on different planets due to differences in their mass and size. For example, on Earth, the average value of g is 9.8 m/s^2, while on Mars it is 3.7 m/s^2 and on the Moon it is 1.6 m/s^2.

4. How does gravitational acceleration affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational acceleration affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards the center of the Earth. This is why objects fall towards the ground when dropped. The strength of the gravitational acceleration also determines the rate at which objects fall.

5. Can gravitational acceleration be changed?

No, the value of gravitational acceleration cannot be changed as it is determined by the mass and distance of the objects involved. However, factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object can affect how fast an object falls due to gravitational acceleration.