Gravitational field and graavitational potential

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding gravitational field strength and potential, and how to calculate them using given formulas. It also covers a specific problem involving two bodies and determining the gravitational field strength and potential at a given point. The conversation ends with clarification on how to solve the problem using vector addition for field strength and simple addition for potential.
Gunman

Homework Statement

I have problem with understanding gravitational field strength and potential.
How different is the gravitational field strrength(g) to gravitational potential?
And what exactly is gravitational potential?

I have one question which would help to bring across the problem.

Bodies P of 800 Kg and Q of 600 Kg are separated by 0.35 m as shown in the diagram below.

P (800 Kg) ========================================= Q (600 Kg)
================================X========================
(a) Determine the magnitude of the gravitational field strength due to both bodies at a point X, which is 0.20 m from P and 0.15 m from Q.

(b) Determine the gravitational potential at X due to two bodies.

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential = GM(Mass)/r
Gravitational field strength = GM(Mass)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Using the formulae I found the gravitational field strength at point X due to P = 1.334*10^ -6.
Gravitational field strength at X due to Q is = 1.779 * 10 ^ - 6

So do I add the two using vector addition?

b) Gravitational potential at X due to P = -2.668 * 10 ^ -7
Gravitational potential at X due to Q at X due to Q = -2.668 * 10 ^ -7

So how do I go about solving this now?

Hmm.Thanks for any help given. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gunman said:
(a) Using the formulae I found the gravitational field strength at point X due to P = 1.334*10^ -6.
Gravitational field strength at X due to Q is = 1.779 * 10 ^ - 6

So do I add the two using vector addition?
Sure. One points to the left, the other to the right.

b) Gravitational potential at X due to P = -2.668 * 10 ^ -7
Gravitational potential at X due to Q at X due to Q = -2.668 * 10 ^ -7

So how do I go about solving this now?
Potential is a scalar--just add the contributions.

Thanks . =)

Related to Gravitational field and graavitational potential

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region of space where a mass experiences a force due to the presence of another mass. It is a vector field and the strength of the field is determined by the mass and distance between the two objects.

2. How is a gravitational field different from a gravitational force?

A gravitational force is the actual force that is exerted on a mass by another mass in a gravitational field. The gravitational field is the region where this force is present, and its strength determines the magnitude of the force experienced by an object.

3. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is determined by the mass of the object, the strength of the gravitational field, and the height of the object above a reference point.

4. How is gravitational potential energy related to the gravitational potential?

The gravitational potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of potential energy per unit mass at a given point in a gravitational field. The gravitational potential energy of an object can be calculated by multiplying the gravitational potential by the mass of the object.

5. Why is the gravitational potential zero at infinity?

The gravitational potential is zero at infinity because at an infinite distance, the gravitational force between two objects becomes infinitesimally small. This means that there is no potential energy associated with the object at this point, and thus the gravitational potential is zero.

Back