Gravitational flux and divergence theorem

In summary, the flux density of a gravitostatic field is the amount of field intensity generated by a mass distribution inside a volume.
checksix
Hi. I've been reading PF for quite a while and have decided to ask my first question. Please be gentle. (I'm a retired computer programmer, not a student)...

I've been learning Gauss' divergence theorem and I understand what "flux density" is when considering things like fluid transport or particle streams but I'm having trouble understanding what it means when talking about gravitational fields. I wonder if somebody can straighten me out.

Here's what I know:

For water flowing in a pipe, for example, the field under consideration would be called "volumetric flux density" and would have units of, say, liters per second per square meter. The "thing" that's flowing would be "water molecules".

For particles emitted by a radiation source, for example, the field under consideration would be called "particle intensity" and would have units of, say, particles per second per square meter. The "thing" that's flowing would be "particles".

Now here's where I have trouble:

For gravity the field would be called "gravitational field strength" or "gravitational flux density" and would have units of Newtons per kilogram. But this looks completely different from the water and particle cases: there are no units indicating "something flowing per unit time per unit area".

I could play with the units to make it look like the water and particle cases:

N / kg = (kg m / s^2) / kg = m / s^2 = (m^3 / s) / s / m^2

So now I have something that looks like a "flux density" - I have "something" per second per unit area.

But what is this "something" that is "flowing" ? It has units of (m^3 / s) which is a volumetric flow. Does this "something" have a name? Thanks for reading this far. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational (more correctly gravitostatic) case and the electrostatic case have the same description, because essentially the laws that govern them are the same.

The flux of the gravitational intensity doesn't have a <material> description, because it uses the classical concept of <field> rather than particles/substances. The concept of field is a rather abstract one and could be used to account for the description of interactions between particles (ideally point-particles).

So the flux of a gravitostatic field is nothing but the <amount> of field intensity generated by a mass distribution inside a volume V.

The fundamental equation states that the flux of the gravitational field generated by a mass distribution inside a volume V is equal to the mass generating the field.

[tex] \oint\oint_{\Sigma} \vec{\Gamma}\left(\vec{r}\right) \cdot d\vec{\sigma} = m_{V_{\Sigma}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, that helped. So I guess, in a sense, it is the field itself that is "flowing". Or maybe not. Perhaps it's best not to press too hard on the fluid analogy and just trust the formalism.

Related to Gravitational flux and divergence theorem

What is gravitational flux?

Gravitational flux is a measure of the flow of a gravitational field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Newton-meters squared per kilogram.

What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the field inside the surface. It states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the region enclosed by the surface.

How is gravitational flux related to the divergence theorem?

In the context of gravity, the divergence theorem can be used to calculate the gravitational flux through a given surface by integrating the divergence of the gravitational field over the enclosed volume. This allows for the calculation of the gravitational force exerted by a mass distribution on a point outside of the distribution.

What is the significance of gravitational flux and the divergence theorem in physics?

The concepts of gravitational flux and the divergence theorem are important in understanding the behavior of gravitational fields and their effects on objects in space. They are key components in the study of gravitational forces and are used in many calculations and experiments in astrophysics and cosmology.

Are there any real-life applications of gravitational flux and the divergence theorem?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of these concepts in fields such as astronomy, geophysics, and engineering. For example, the divergence theorem is used to calculate the strength of gravitational fields around planets and stars, and it is also used in the design of structures to withstand gravitational forces. Additionally, the concept of gravitational flux is important in understanding the behavior of objects in orbit around a massive body, such as a planet or star.