Gravitational force confusing question

Newtons, unbiased opinion: You are not stupid, it is a poor question.In summary, the question asks for the gravitational force experienced by a skydiver with a mass of 70kg jumping out of a plane. However, the necessary information to calculate the force is not provided, leading to confusion and doubts about the accuracy of the question. Suggestions for solving the question include using the mass of the Earth as the second mass in the gravitational force formula and assuming negligible height of the plane. It is noted that the wording of the question is unclear and
Wesdxc
I have this question on my practice test that I can't figure out. "Just as one jumps out of a plane what is their gravitational force given that the mass is 70kg." The thing is, for me to use the gravitational force formula I need to masses. The test only has the one. Am I missing something? Am I to stupid to look over such an obvious answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the plane is flying in earth's atmosphere.

You can also assume that it is not too far away from the ground.

I moved the thread to our homework section.

Is that the exact wording of the question. I note it asks for "their" gravitational force. Would that be asking for the gravitational force between two identical skydivers each of mass 70kg?

Edit. On the other hand it mentions "one" leaving the plane.

Why don't uh try assuming that the plane's height is negligible with respect to radius of Earth and try mass of Earth for second mass so the eqn becomes F=G×m1×M/r^2 (in this case "M" is equal to mass of earth

FAQ: Gravitational force confusing question

What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

How does gravitational force work?

Gravitational force is determined by the mass and distance between two objects. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force. The farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational force.

What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to gravitational force?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measurement of the force of gravity on an object. Gravitational force is directly proportional to an object's mass, but inversely proportional to its distance from another object.

Can gravitational force be shielded or blocked?

No, gravitational force cannot be shielded or blocked. It is a fundamental force that acts on all objects with mass, regardless of barriers or obstacles.

How does gravitational force relate to other forces?

Gravitational force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with electromagnetic, strong, and weak forces. It is responsible for the motion of celestial bodies and plays a crucial role in the structure of the universe.