Gravitational Potential Due to a Thin Rod of Varying Density.

In summary, for a thin rod lying on the +y-axis with one end at the origin and increasing density along the y-coordinate, the gravitational potential at a point (x,0) can be found using the formula φ(x) = -Gk[√(x^2+L^2) - x], and the gravitational field at the same point can be found using the formula g(x) = -Gkx/√(x^2+L^2)^3/2.
pelmel92

Homework Statement

GRAVITATIONAL POTENTIAL AND FIELD DUE TO A “THIN” ROD
A thin rod of length L lies along the +y-axis, with one end at the
origin (see diagram).
Assume:
• The rod has length only- no thickness in other directions.
• The density of the rod increases proportionally to the
y-coordinate: λ = ky, where k is a known constant and λ is in
kg/m
• Gravitational potential is zero at infinity: φ (∞) = 0

a) Find the gravitational potential φ ( x) at a point (x,0) by direct integration.
b) Find the gravitational field g at a point (x,0) by direct integration.

Homework Equations

dφ = -(G dm)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Still stuck on part a, so that's really the brunt of my question for now (though assistance with part b is more than welcome!).

Using the given density function to solve for dm and substituting √(x^2+y^2) for r, I have an expression for dφ:

dφ = -(Gk y dy)/√(x^2+y^2)

...but I have no idea how to manipulate this to get a soluble integral :( I've been messing around with partial derivatives and polar coordinates for hours, but nothing seems to work.
PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I think I may have figured it out... x isn't actually changing here, so my attempts to relate it to y were completely unnecessary? The answer then (I think) would be:
φ(x) = --Gk[√(x^2+L^2) - x] .

Part b has me a bit stumped though... help would be lovely.

Alrighty, figured that bit out on my own as well... polar coordinates work out nicely.

FAQ: Gravitational Potential Due to a Thin Rod of Varying Density.

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational potential due to a thin rod of varying density?

The formula for calculating the gravitational potential due to a thin rod of varying density is: V = -G * M * ln(r/R), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the total mass of the rod, r is the distance from the center of the rod, and R is the radius of the rod.

2. How does the density of the rod affect the gravitational potential?

The density of the rod affects the gravitational potential because a higher density means a higher mass, which results in a stronger gravitational pull. Therefore, the more dense the rod, the higher the gravitational potential.

3. What is the relationship between distance and gravitational potential for a thin rod of varying density?

The relationship between distance and gravitational potential for a thin rod of varying density is inverse. As the distance from the center of the rod increases, the gravitational potential decreases.

4. Can the gravitational potential due to a thin rod of varying density be negative?

Yes, the gravitational potential due to a thin rod of varying density can be negative. This occurs when the distance from the center of the rod is greater than the radius of the rod, resulting in a negative value for ln(r/R).

5. How does the gravitational potential of a thin rod of varying density compare to that of a thin rod with uniform density?

The gravitational potential of a thin rod of varying density is not constant like that of a thin rod with uniform density. It varies based on the distance from the center of the rod and the density at that point. In comparison, the gravitational potential of a thin rod with uniform density is the same at all points along the rod.

Back