Gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon

In summary, the Earth's radius is 6.40x10^3km, its mass is 6.00x10^24kg, the Moon's mass is 7.36x10^22kg, and the Moon's radius is 1.74x10^3km. The average Earth-Moon distance is 3.84x10^8km. Neglecting friction and rotation, the potential energy between the Earth and Moon can be graphed as a function of position on a line connecting their centers. The extremum position, where the potential has a maximum or minimum, is at (9.28x10^6m, 7.51x10^8m) and the gravitational
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Consider the Earth's radius to be 6.40x103km, its mass to be 6.00x1024kg, the Moon's mass to be 7.36x1022kg, and the Moon's radius to be 1.74x103km. The average value for the Earth-Moon distance is 3.84x105kg. Neglect friction and rotation.

a. Sketch the potential energy as a function of the position on a line between the Earth's centre and the Moon's centre, for positions between the surfaces of the two bodies (ignore positions inside the bodies).
b. Find the position where the potential has an extremum (maximum or minimum) between the Earth and the Moon. Find the gravitational force on a test particle of mass m at that location.
c. Calculate the minimum work required to transport a mass of 1.0kg from the surface of the Earth to the surface of the moon, ignoring air resistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure on how to start with this problem. I don't know how i should graph the potential energy as a function of the position on a line (firstly, how can we find the potential energy in a point between two masses? Calculate both potential energies with respect to the Moon and Earth at that point?). As well, how can we calculate the work required to transport the mass? I tried finding the difference in potential energy between a point in the surface to a point in the Moon, but it doesn't work (answer is 58.7 MJ).

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you have a line, D, between two points, and you are traveling between them, choose r to be the distance between you and the left point. Then the distance between you and the right point is D-r.

The potential energy due to two masses is just the superposition of the potential from each individual mass.

I feel c) is ambiguous. Is it asking for net work, or the amount of work that has to be available to achieve the transfer?

haruspex said:
I feel c) is ambiguous. Is it asking for net work, or the amount of work that has to be available to achieve the transfer?

I think they just want students, once they get force as a function of x, to integrate it along a straight line.

Pythagorean said:
I think they just want students, once they get force as a function of x, to integrate it along a straight line.
The thing is that supposedly we aren't required to use calculus for all of the exercises. I feel that b. as well requires some calc in order to optimize the function (and wouldn't it be negative everywhere, and have the extrema at the end points?

Edit: Wouldn't the function that gives the potential energy be:

[itex]E_{p}=\displaystyle\frac{-Gm_{e}m_{p}}{t}-\displaystyle\frac{Gm_{m}m_{p}}{3.48x10^{8}-t}[/itex]

Where mp is a point mass?

Last edited:
Yes, though t bothers me since it's often used for time. I would go with r, but that's just convention and not technically wrong.

I have no idea how you'd do it without calculus.

Pythagorean said:
No integration needed. Part a) found the potentials.
Part b) suggests differentiation, but there might be another way.

I have tried differentiating but to no avail. The answers are here if anyone can find out what it is about:

Extrema positions: ([itex]9.28x10^{6}m, 7.51x10^{8}m[/itex])

fogvajarash said:
I have tried differentiating but to no avail.

Please post your working.

Related to Gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy required to move an object from its current position to a reference point, typically infinity, against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated using the equation U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height or distance between the object and the reference point. For objects with larger masses, the equation becomes U = GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the objects.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon?

The gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon is affected by the mass of both objects, the distance between them, and the gravitational constant.

4. How does the gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon change over time?

The gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon remains constant as long as their masses and distance between them do not change. However, as the Moon orbits around Earth, its potential energy changes due to the changing distance between the two objects.

5. How is gravitational potential energy related to the tides on Earth?

The gravitational potential energy between Earth and Moon plays a significant role in creating tides on Earth. The Moon's gravity pulls on the water on Earth's surface, creating a bulge on the side closest to the Moon and a bulge on the opposite side. As Earth rotates, these bulges create the high and low tides that we observe.