Gravitational potential energy experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving releasing marbles down a semicircular track made of taped-together hose pipes. The marble's motion is affected by factors such as gravity, kinetic energy, and friction. The track's bumpiness and the marble's grip on the hose pipe are also important factors to consider. There is a debate about the role of static friction in opposing the motion of the marble, as it seems to provide motion rather than slowing it down.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

To explain the forces at work when a marble is released from a height and then eventually comes to rest. We did this experiment where two lengths of hose pipe were taped together. The hosepipe was then bent into a semicircular shape (forming a track) and secured onto a clamp stand. We then had to release marbles from varying distances from the bottom of the hose pipe ramp and measure the time taken for the marble to come to rest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the marble has GPE equal to mgh when released and picks up KE as it rolls down the track. I am struggling to apply some rigorous physics as to why it stops. Air resistance is an obvious one. The marble seems to grip the track so I would argue the friction is static friction. If there is no kinetic friction then am I correct in saying friction doesn't oppose the motion of the marble? Is the main opposing force the bumpiness of the hose pipe so the marble encounters a large number of small collision and each collision provides an opposing force to slow down the marble?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble visualising the track. "Semicircular", you say? A marble released on one end of such a track would roll back-and-forth multiple times, reaching ever-decreasing heights.

There certainly is friction all the time draining energy from the marble's motion.

NascentOxygen said:
I'm having trouble visualising the track. "Semicircular", you say? A marble released on one end of such a track would roll back-and-forth multiple times, reaching ever-decreasing heights.

There certainly is friction all the time draining energy from the marble's motion.

Yes, you have visualised it exactly as it is. I posted a thread recently about static friction and rolling motion (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/static-friction-of-a-cars-tyre.771649/#post-4862431). It seems that if there is only static friction then friction does not oppose motion (so long as there is little depression of the rolling object), it in fact provides the motion. In the marble experiment the marble seems to grip the hose pipe therefore there is no kinetic friction, only static. I thought only kinetic friction slows down motion and if the marble experiences static friction then surely friction would not be an opposing force in this situation?

Of rolling friction there'd be plenty. The flexible hose depresses under the ball, so the ball is constantly 'climbing a hill', a bow-wave of polythene ahead of it. Try letting a lot of air out of your bike tyre and compare the effort needed to peddle with that when the tyres are pumped hard so they stay more circular.

Thank you for sharing your experiment with me. It is always exciting to see students conducting hands-on experiments to understand scientific concepts.

The experiment you described is a great way to explore the concept of gravitational potential energy. As you correctly noted, when the marble is released from a height, it has a certain amount of potential energy due to its position in the Earth's gravitational field. As it rolls down the track, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is responsible for the marble's motion.

Now, let's discuss the forces at work when the marble comes to rest. You are correct in saying that air resistance is one of the main opposing forces. Air resistance is a type of friction that occurs between the marble and the air molecules. As the marble moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down.

However, there are other forces at play as well. One of them is the friction between the marble and the track. As you mentioned, this friction is likely static friction, which means that it only comes into play when there is no relative motion between the marble and the track. Static friction is responsible for the marble's ability to grip the track and roll down without slipping.

In addition to these forces, the bumpiness of the hose pipe can also play a role in slowing down the marble. As the marble encounters small bumps and imperfections on the track, it experiences small collisions that can also contribute to its deceleration.

Overall, it is a combination of all these forces that ultimately brings the marble to rest. By measuring the time it takes for the marble to come to rest from different starting points, you can investigate how these forces change with distance and how they affect the marble's motion.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the physics behind your experiment. Keep up the good work in exploring the world of science!

FAQ: Gravitational potential energy experiment

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy measured?

Gravitational potential energy can be measured by multiplying an object's mass by its height and the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is the purpose of a gravitational potential energy experiment?

The purpose of a gravitational potential energy experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between an object's mass, height, and gravitational potential energy, as well as to understand the concept of potential energy and its role in the laws of physics.

4. How can the results of a gravitational potential energy experiment be used?

The results of a gravitational potential energy experiment can be used to calculate the potential energy of objects in different positions, and to make predictions about their motion and behavior in a gravitational field.

5. What are the key factors that affect gravitational potential energy?

The key factors that affect gravitational potential energy are an object's mass, its height, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. Additionally, the distance between two objects and their masses can also affect the potential energy between them.

Back