Gravitational potential energy?

In summary, a skier can have more than one value for gravitational potential energy at any given time due to the relative position of the skier to the ground. As the skier moves and changes positions, their gravitational potential energy also changes. This can be seen when the skier is descending down a hill or airborne off a jump. However, even when the skier is not airborne, there is still a potential energy difference between their present position and some other position, leading to multiple potential energies at any given time.
Plasm47
Explain how a skier can have more than one value for gravitational potential energy at anyone time?

My attempt at an answer.

Consider the position of the skier is relative to the bottom of the hill. Therefore the skier has gravitational potential energy as he/she descends down the hill. At any moment where the skier is airborne (i.e ascending off a jump) he/she now has gravitational potential energy from being above ground.

will not be surprised if this is incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plasm47 said:
Explain how a skier can have more than one value for gravitational potential energy at anyone time?
What determines gravitational potential energy? Think of gravitational potential energy of the skier as a potential energy difference between two positions: its present position and some other position.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What determines gravitational potential energy? Think of gravitational potential energy of the skier as a potential energy difference between two positions: its present position and some other position.

AM

wouldn't my two first sentences be an example of that? so that would make one value. i guess my last sentence is just an extension to the first value.

Plasm47 said:
wouldn't my two first sentences be an example of that? so that would make one value. i guess my last sentence is just an extension to the first value.
Your answer is not incorrect but needs a bit more explanation. That would be an example of having two gravitational potential energies at one particular time (ie. when he/she is airborne). What would those energies be? How would the skier have two potential energies at ANY given time (ie. even when he/she is not airborne) as the question asks?

AM

Your explanation is correct. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. In the case of a skier, as they descend down a hill, they have gravitational potential energy due to their position above the ground. However, when they reach a point where they are airborne, their position changes and they now have gravitational potential energy due to their height above the ground.

This is because as the skier gains height, they are moving further away from the center of the Earth and therefore experiencing a stronger gravitational pull. This results in an increase in their potential energy. Once the skier lands back on the ground, their position changes again and their potential energy decreases.

So, at any given time, a skier can have multiple values of gravitational potential energy depending on their position relative to the ground. This concept can also be applied to other objects, such as a rollercoaster or a bungee jumper, where their potential energy changes as they move up and down in a gravitational field.

Related to Gravitational potential energy?

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work as a result of its position in relation to other objects.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, the strength of the gravitational field it is in, and its position in relation to other objects in the gravitational field.

4. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational potential energy?

The unit of measurement for gravitational potential energy is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy such as kinetic energy and thermal energy.

5. How does gravitational potential energy relate to potential and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy is a form of potential energy, meaning it is energy that is stored and has the potential to do work. When an object falls, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.