Gravitational Potential (problems with definition)

In summary, potential energy is the work done by gravity to bring a mass from infinity to a certain point, and it is the negative of the work done by gravity as the mass moves from that point to infinity. The sign convention for potential energy is often reversed, which can cause confusion.
Cozy_Powell
I tried to get the potential from the potential energy and I get a positive sign for potential...! I cannot find what I did wrong.
- Gravitational force is conservative so its work W is symmetrical to the change in potential energy U.
- Potential is the work done by gravitational force, per unit mass, to bring a mass from infinity to a certain point P.

Initial position of mass: ∞
Final position of mass: point P

W = - ΔU
W = - (Up - U)
W = - (-GMm/rp - (-GMm/r))
W = - (-GMm/r + 0)
W = GMm/r
W/m = GM/r

Potential = φ = W/m = GM/r

It should be negative...

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition you used has the wrong sign convention. Potential energy is the work that must be done by you to bring a mass from infinity to a certain point P. It is the negative of the work done by gravity during that same process.

Equivalently, potential energy can be taken as the work that would be done by gravity as a mass moves from point P to infinity.

Related to Gravitational Potential (problems with definition)

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit mass at a given point in a gravitational field. It represents the work that would be required to move a unit mass from that point to a reference point with no gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential different from gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is a property of a point in a gravitational field, while gravitational potential energy is a measure of the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. Gravitational potential is a scalar quantity, while gravitational potential energy is a vector quantity.

3. What is the equation for gravitational potential?

The equation for gravitational potential is V = -GM/r, where V is the gravitational potential, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the attracting object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

4. How is gravitational potential affected by distance?

Gravitational potential is inversely proportional to distance, meaning that as distance increases, gravitational potential decreases. This is because the force of gravity also decreases with distance.

5. Can gravitational potential be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential can be negative. This occurs when the reference point has a higher potential energy than the point in question, meaning that the point in question has a lower potential energy than the reference point.