Gravitational question (spacecraft)

In summary, an unmanned spacecraft in a circular orbit around the moon experienced an electrical fault that caused one of its thrusters to fire, decreasing its speed by 27.0 m/s. Without any correction, the spacecraft will crash into the lunar surface. Using the equation GM/R^2 - vf^2/R = a, the initial velocity (v0) is assumed to be zero. The mass of the moon is 7.35*10^22 kg and the radius of the moon is 1.74*10^6 m. By solving for vf using the given values, the speed of the spacecraft upon impact with the lunar surface can be calculated to be approximately 1,798 km/h.
ccsmarty

Homework Statement

An unmanned spacecraft is in a circular orbit around the moon, observing the lunar surface from an altitude of 52.0 km. To the dismay of scientists on earth, an electrical fault causes an on-board thruster to fire, decreasing the speed of the spacecraft by 27.0 m/s.
If nothing is done to correct its orbit, with what speed (in km/h) will the spacecraft crash into the lunar surface?

Homework Equations

mass of moon = 7.36*10^22 kg
radius of moon = 1.7374*10^6 m

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I tried, but I got the wrong answer. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong.

problem.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you justify why you did this?
GM/R^2 - vf^2/R = a

And later on, why is v0 = 0?

Well, the first equation I got when I asked an online tutor for help.
I made v0 = 0 because I thought that the instant after the thruster fired, the velocity would be zero.

I tried doing the problem a different way today and here's my work:

problem2.jpg

However, this did not yield the right answer :(.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

What you did the second time around looks right to me. only thing I'm concerned with is the exact numbers, and how accurate your result needs to be...

for example you used 1.74*10^6 instead of 1.7374*10^6 (what you had in your initial post)... and 7.35*10^22 instead of 7.36*10^22 (what you had in your initial post)

those online homework things are a little problematic...

essentially your work looks right to me.

FAQ: Gravitational question (spacecraft)

1. What is gravitational assist?

Gravitational assist, also known as a slingshot maneuver, is a technique used by spacecraft to gain speed and change direction by using the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body. This helps conserve fuel and allows spacecraft to reach their destinations faster.

2. How does gravitational pull affect spacecraft?

Gravitational pull is the force that pulls objects towards each other. In space, the gravitational pull of planets and other objects can affect the trajectory and speed of a spacecraft. This is why gravitational assist is used to manipulate the spacecraft's path and conserve fuel.

3. Can gravitational pull be used to slow down a spacecraft?

Yes, gravitational pull can also be used to slow down a spacecraft. A spacecraft can enter the gravitational field of a planet and use its pull to decelerate and change direction. This is often used in combination with gravitational assist to achieve precise trajectories.

4. What are some challenges of using gravitational assist for spacecraft?

One of the main challenges of using gravitational assist is accurately predicting the trajectory of the spacecraft, as it relies on the precise timing and positioning of the spacecraft in relation to the gravitational field of the planet. Another challenge is ensuring the spacecraft does not get too close to the planet, which could lead to a collision.

5. Can gravitational assist be used for interstellar travel?

Yes, gravitational assist can be used for interstellar travel. Spacecraft can use the gravitational pull of multiple planets to gain speed and change direction, allowing them to travel longer distances with less fuel. This technique has been used by several spacecraft, such as the Voyager and New Horizons missions.

Back