Gravitational Radiation and Cosmological Constant

In summary, the authors of the paper argue that the cosmological constant does have an impact on the dynamics of gravitational waves, and that LIGO may be able to detect this effect.
Markus Hanke
How come that, in the context of discussing the search for gravitational waves, I never see the cosmological constant mentioned ? We know that ##\Lambda \neq 0##, so this seems strange to me; in the presence of a non-vanishing constant, the background is not Ricci flat in the vacuum case, so this should have some impact on how the radiation propagates. In fact, in the linearised case, and in Lorentz gauge, the equation of motion for the perturbance ##h_{\mu \nu}## becomes

[tex]\displaystyle{\square \left ( h_{\mu \nu}-\frac{1}{2}\eta _{\mu \nu}h \right )=-2\Lambda \left (\eta_{\mu \nu}+h_{\mu \nu} \right )}[/tex]

I guess over distances which can be considered small ( in the cosmological sense ) a case can be made to ignore the r.h.s.; but for very distant sources of gravitational radiation I don't think things are that simple.

Naively I would expect a Doppler-like effect ( a frequency shift ) for very distant sources, and I would also expect that the ##\Lambda## enters into how the radiation actually couples to the source in the first place. I am unfortunately not in a position to estimate the magnitude of the impact that has on the dynamics of the wave, so I am curious if anyone on here with more advanced knowledge can comment on that ? Is the cosmological constant taken into account in searches for gravitational waves ( e.g. at Advanced LIGO ) ? If not, why not ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. I guess it is because Lambda is incredibly small.

haushofer said:
Good question. I guess it is because Lambda is incredibly small.

Yes, you are right of course - but does that necessarily mean that it has a negligible impact on the dynamics of the wave ? I think that question deserves a closer look.

Related to Gravitational Radiation and Cosmological Constant

1. What is gravitational radiation?

Gravitational radiation, also known as gravitational waves, is a type of radiation that is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as stars or black holes, and it propagates through space at the speed of light.

2. How is gravitational radiation detected?

Gravitational radiation is detected using specialized instruments called interferometers. These instruments use lasers to measure tiny distortions in space caused by passing gravitational waves. The most sensitive interferometers to date are the LIGO and Virgo detectors, which have successfully detected gravitational waves from merging black holes and neutron stars.

3. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's field equations of general relativity that represents the energy density of empty space. It was originally introduced by Einstein to counteract the effects of gravity and maintain a static universe. However, it is now commonly associated with the accelerated expansion of the universe.

4. How does the cosmological constant relate to gravitational radiation?

The cosmological constant affects the propagation of gravitational radiation by influencing the curvature of space. A non-zero cosmological constant results in a non-zero curvature of space, which affects how gravitational waves travel through it. This can be seen in the stretching and squeezing of space-time as gravitational waves pass through it.

5. What is the current understanding of the relationship between gravitational radiation and the cosmological constant?

Currently, there is ongoing research and debate about the relationship between gravitational radiation and the cosmological constant. Some theories suggest that the cosmological constant may be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, while others propose alternative explanations. More research and observations are needed to fully understand the connection between these two phenomena.