Gravitational wave solution boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of h in linearized gravity, the use of gauge transformations to simplify Einstein's equation, and the implications of the equation for ψ in the context of gravitational wave solutions. The concept of well behaved boundary conditions is introduced, with the understanding that for the homogeneous wave equation, zero incoming waves leads to ψ being zero everywhere.
center o bass
In linearized gravity we can one sets

$$(1) \ \ g_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}$$

where h is taken to be a small perturbation about the flat space metric. One common decomposition of h is to write the spatial part as

$$ h_{i j} = 2 s_{ij} - 2\psi \delta_{ij} \ h_{0i} \equiv w_i \ h_00 = -2\phi$$

There are certain gauge transformations that leave (1) invariant which can be used to simplify Einstein's equation; one choice, "the transverse gauge", makes ##\nabla \cdot w = 0## and ##\partial_i s^{ij} =0##. One can show that by expressing the (time-time) part Einstein field equations in terms of these fields in the transverse gauge yields for empty space yields

$$\nabla^2 \psi = 0.$$

Now at the beginning of section 7.4 "Gravitational Wave solutions" in Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry", he states that the above equation with "well behaved boundary conditions" implies

$$\psi = 0.$$

I'm not sure what to make of this. What does he mean by well behaved boundary conditions, and why are these relevant for the gravitational wave solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
center o bass said:
I'm not sure what to make of this. What does he mean by well behaved boundary conditions, and why are these relevant for the gravitational wave solutions?
Zero incoming waves. He wants to get rid of ψ, since it is only a gauge freedom, and for the homogeneous wave equation, zero incoming waves implies ψ must be zero everywhere.

Related to Gravitational wave solution boundary conditions

1. What are gravitational waves and why are they important?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and have been directly observed by scientists. They are important because they provide a new way for us to study the universe and can reveal information about some of the most extreme events in the cosmos, such as black hole mergers.

2. What are boundary conditions in the context of gravitational wave solutions?

In the context of gravitational wave solutions, boundary conditions refer to the constraints that must be satisfied at the edges of a system in order to accurately model the behavior of gravitational waves. These conditions help to determine the shape, strength, and direction of the waves.

3. How do boundary conditions affect the solutions of gravitational waves?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the solutions of gravitational waves. They can affect the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the waves, as well as their direction of propagation. Without proper boundary conditions, the solutions may not accurately represent the behavior of gravitational waves.

4. Can boundary conditions be applied to all types of gravitational wave solutions?

Yes, boundary conditions can be applied to all types of gravitational wave solutions. Whether it is a simple two-body system or a more complex system involving multiple massive objects, boundary conditions are necessary to accurately model the behavior of gravitational waves.

5. How do scientists determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific gravitational wave problem?

Determining the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific gravitational wave problem involves understanding the physical properties of the system, such as the masses and positions of the objects involved, as well as the nature of the gravitational waves being studied. Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to test different boundary conditions and choose the ones that best fit the observed data.

Back