Gravitons moving out of our dimension

In summary: Many thanks bapowell I understand now.In summary, if gravitons are virtual photons, you can think of switching on a bulb. If light traveled in only one selective dimension after re-entering from everywhere else, then we wouldn't need to create lasers. However, if gravity has more ground to cover, it gets diluted and doesn't have the same strength as electromagnetism and the nuclear forces.
mim
Is my understanding correct. Gravity is a week force because gravitons escape out of our dimension into other dimensions. If so would gravitons not also be able to re-enter our dimesion. Therefore cancelling out this theory

Physics news on Phys.org
Smart.If gravitons are virtual photons, you can think of switching on a bulb.If light traveled in only one selective dimension after re-entering from everywhere else, then we wouldn't need to create lasers

mim said:
Is my understanding correct. Gravity is a week force because gravitons escape out of our dimension into other dimensions. If so would gravitons not also be able to re-enter our dimesion. Therefore cancelling out this theory
No, it's just that gravity has more ground to cover. If you imagine that all the forces should be of roughly equal strength, but that electromagnetism and the nuclear forces only operate in our 3 spatial dimensions while gravity must contend with 9 dimensions, you can easily see how it gets "spread out" and diluted.

bapowell said:
No, it's just that gravity has more ground to cover. If you imagine that all the forces should be of roughly equal strength, but that electromagnetism and the nuclear forces only operate in our 3 spatial dimensions while gravity must contend with 9 dimensions, you can easily see how it gets "spread out" and diluted.
Many thanks bapowell I get it.

vin300 said:
Smart.If gravitons are virtual photons, you can think of switching on a bulb.If light traveled in only one selective dimension after re-entering from everywhere else, then we wouldn't need to create lasers
I don't understand your answer vin300. I thought a graviton was a closed string that was shaped or vibrated in a particular way that made it unique ie a graviton also my understanding of the theory was that only gravitons could pass through a brane. We could therefore still do with lasers

bapowell said:

A clarification question: This "diluting" only happens in theories where our universe is actually just a 3 spatial brane in a higher dimensional world, as opposed to a 9 spatial dimension universe with 6 curled up, Correct?

If not, I'm having trouble seeing how light and other interactions can avoid the curled dimensions.
If yes, then it seems like if our 3 spatial brane is curved in the higher dimensions, that the gravitons leaking out could hit back on the brane elsewhere ... therefore causing what appears to be "more gravity from nothing". Or is there something which prevents gravitons from "leaking in", and they can only "leak out"?

Related to Gravitons moving out of our dimension

What are gravitons?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are believed to be carriers of the force of gravity. They are predicted by certain theories, such as string theory, but have not yet been directly observed.

How do gravitons move out of our dimension?

According to some theories, gravitons can move out of our familiar 3-dimensional space into extra dimensions. These extra dimensions are often described as being curled up or hidden from our perception.

Can gravitons be detected?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of gravitons, so they cannot be detected or measured directly. However, scientists are working on ways to indirectly detect their presence through experiments and observations.

What are the implications of gravitons moving out of our dimension?

If gravitons do indeed move out of our dimension, it could have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the universe. It could help explain the strength of gravity compared to other fundamental forces and could potentially lead to new discoveries about the nature of space and time.

Is there any evidence for gravitons moving out of our dimension?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of gravitons or their movement into extra dimensions. However, ongoing research and experimentation in the field of theoretical physics may provide more insight into this intriguing concept in the future.