Gravitons Phasing Across Branes: Dark Matter Explained?

• Thread starter hadronhead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitons
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of "phasing" in relation to gravitons and the possibility of their effects being projected through a brane into our observable universe. The speaker also mentioned their interest in physics and their intention to study it further. They were also provided with clarifications on how gravitons can travel through branes and the current understanding of dark matter.
hadronhead
"phasing" ? gravitons

hey everyone, I am new here and I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not someone already came up with the idea i had a year or two ago, or perhaps if someone knows its impossible and doesn't work. - after reading somewhere that its theorized that gravitons can "phase" or slide between branes into parallell universes, i wondered if gravitons effects could also be projected through a brane, in which case, could dark matter in our observable universe be the effect of gravitys effect being projected into our universe by collections of matter in another universe through a nearby brane?

i know that will sound pretty sketchy, i have a huge interest in physics but haven't yet gone to college or university (i intend to study physics further) and apologise if the wording/and or thought process is overly crude or nonsensical.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Hadronhead,

You should build on your passion for Physics, it is rare and welcome into our community.

Let me clarify a couple of points for you so that you can make your own mind up on a couple of these issues.

Firstly, the graviton can indeed go through the branes as you suggested, however the process is quite different to what your thinking (or at least what I think your thinking through what you wrote). String theory assigns to gravitons a closed-loop representation and as such they don't possesses ends which are bound on D-branes. Open strings are bound to D-branes and as much as their oscillations can happen in dimensions external to the D-brane itself (like a string attached to a table can come out of the plane of the table) they must remain attached to the brane. It is in this sense that gravity can travel through the bulk of branes.

Dark matter is quite complex to understand and as you will see in your years of study (and believe me we still struggle) even harder to interpret. The best known candidate for dark matter is the lightest super-neutrino. This is the result of supersymmetry, an extension of the Poincare' algebra to include Spinor generators. The theory predicts the existence of superpartners to those already included in the standard model (see MSSM), the lightest of which could possibly form the Dark matter we currently observe.

Hope this helps and Good luck with your studies.

Hi there, thank you for sharing your idea with us. The concept of gravitons phasing across branes is an interesting one, and it's definitely something that scientists have explored in theories of quantum gravity. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to support the existence of gravitons or the idea that they can phase across branes.

As for your idea about dark matter being the effect of gravity from another universe projected through a nearby brane, it is definitely an intriguing concept. However, it is important to note that dark matter is still a mystery and there are many different theories about its origin. While your idea may be a possibility, it would require a lot more research and evidence to support it.

I encourage you to continue pursuing your interest in physics and perhaps one day you will have the opportunity to study and research these concepts further. Keep exploring and questioning, as that is the foundation of scientific discovery.

FAQ: Gravitons Phasing Across Branes: Dark Matter Explained?

1. What are gravitons and how do they relate to dark matter?

Gravitons are theoretical particles that are thought to carry the force of gravity in the framework of quantum mechanics. In the theory of gravitons phasing across branes, these particles are believed to interact with dark matter, which is a mysterious substance that makes up about 85% of the universe's mass.

2. What is the concept of gravitons phasing across branes?

In this theory, it is proposed that gravitons can travel between different "branes" or parallel universes, which could explain why gravity is much weaker than the other fundamental forces of nature. It also suggests that dark matter may exist in these other branes, and can interact with our own universe through the exchange of gravitons.

3. How does this theory explain the behavior of dark matter?

The idea is that the gravitons phasing across branes can create a gravitational pull on dark matter particles, causing them to cluster together and form the large structures we see in the universe, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. This could also explain why dark matter does not interact with light or other particles, as it is confined to these other branes.

4. Is there any evidence to support this theory?

While there is currently no direct evidence for gravitons phasing across branes, there are some observations that are consistent with this idea. For example, the distribution of dark matter in galaxy clusters can be explained by the presence of extra-spatial dimensions, as proposed in this theory.

5. What are the implications of this theory for our understanding of the universe?

If gravitons phasing across branes are confirmed, it could significantly change our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also lead to new insights into the nature of dark matter and potentially open up new avenues for research in particle physics and cosmology.

Back