Gravity at relativistic speed

In summary: It is not possible to find the speed increase due to gravity pull using the SR velocity addition formula or the calculator here. The calculator is for transforming measured velocities in inertial frames and that's not your setup.
bobie
Gold Member
Is it possible to find the speed increase due to gravity pull using the SR velocity addition formula or the calculator here?
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Relativ/einvel2.html

Can you confirm that it is in accordance with GR formula?
For example, if an asteroid is approaching the Earth at √3 /2 c, considering g constant (10 m/s^2)for a whole second the hyperphysics calculator says the increase is 2.5 m/s (instead of 10)

Is it an acceptable approximation?

Physics news on Phys.org
That calculator is for a situation completely different than the one you describe. It is for transforming measured velocities in inertial frames (it says so in the first sentence) and that's not your setup.

Likes bobie
bobie said:
Is it possible to find the speed increase due to gravity pull using the SR velocity addition formula or the calculator here?
No. This calculator has nothing to do with gravity.

Likes bobie
g for Earth isn't constant. It depends on height. And height will change a lot in one second, traveling at sqrt(3)/2 c.

But, if we just consider a constant g, I think you can use the equivalence principle to calculate it without full GR equations.

Likes bobie
Khashishi said:
g for Earth isn't constant. It depends on height. And height will change a lot in one second, traveling at sqrt(3)/2 c. But, if we just consider a constant g, I think you can use the equivalence principle to calculate it without full GR equations.
Let's consider g constant, like on a supermassive body, in order to not complicate the situation.
Can you refer me to an article or show how to use a simpler formula for gravity? Can you give a rough estimate of the increase of velocity?
Thanks

Rindler coordinates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindler_coordinates) describes uniformly accelerating frames of reference.
We are considering an acceleration of g.
Let c=1, g=1
Note that choosing g=1 is choosing a time unit. For g=10m/s^2, since we have set c=1, we need to write g in terms of c:
g=3.3*10^-8 c/second
So, the time unit is (1/(3.3*10^-8/second) = 29979245.8 seconds

Consider the world-line of the asteroid. Let's assume no forces on the asteroid, so the world line is a diagonal line in inertial coordinates. Choose the line so it crosses the X axis at (1,0). So, the asteroid will be moving at v when it passes right by the Rindler observer who is stationed at (1,0). This Rindler observer is uniformly accelerating at g, so is stationary with respect to the massive body. Lowercase letters refer to the Rindler observers' coordinates, and uppercase refer to inertial coordinates (which are accelerating with respect to the massive body).
So, we want to know, where does the t=(1 second) curve intersect the world-line of the asteroid? Converting units: t=3.3*10^-8
Let's write the equation of the world-line
X = v*T + 1
Now, for coordinate transformation
x=sqrt(X^2-T^2)
t=arctanh(T/X)
T = tanh(t)
plugging in and solving for the world-line in x and t coordinates
X = v*tanh(t) + 1
x = sqrt((v*tanh(t) + 1)^2 - (tanh(t))^2)

Now, we want to know the new instantaneous velocity seen by the Rindler observer at t=3.3*10^-8
v_new = dx/dt = d(sqrt((v*tanh(t) + 1)^2 - (tanh(t))^2))/dt
(using mathematica)
= (Sech[t]^2 (v + (-1 + v^2) Tanh[t]))/Sqrt[-Tanh[t]^2 + (1 + v Tanh[t])^2]

Now just plug in values (t=3.3*10^-8, v=sqrt(3)/2)
v_new = sqrt(3)/2 - 3.3*10^-8
Whoops, we're accelerating in the wrong direction. Oh well, just reverse the sign of v.
Now just plug in values (t=3.3*10^-8, v=-sqrt(3)/2)
v_new = -sqrt(3)/2 - 3.3*10^-8

Now since we are using units where c=1, 3.3*10^-8 = 9.9 m/s^2.
So, basically, by accelerating at 10m/s^2 for 1 second, we have changed v by about 9.9 m/s^2. There might be some rounding error.

What if we accelerate longer, or set g to a larger value? Let's say, set g to c/10 per second.
Then, t = 0.1
with v = -0.8660254
v_new = -0.971218

If g=0.5c, we get v_new = -2.01887
That's faster than c. It's impossible to go faster than c in inertial coordinates, but it might be possible in Rindler coordinates. Keep in mind that the asteroid is very far from the observer after 1 second. Accelerating frames are weird. But maybe I just made a mistake. I haven't done this kind of calculation before.

Likes bobie
Khashishi said:
Now, for coordinate transformation
x=sqrt(X^2-T^2)
t=arctanh(T/X)
T = tanh(t)
plugging in and solving for the world-line in x and t coordinates
X = v*tanh(t) + 1
x = sqrt((v*tanh(t) + 1)^2 - (tanh(t))^2)

Now, we want to know the new instantaneous velocity seen by the Rindler observer at t=3.3*10^-8
v_new = dx/dt = d(sqrt((v*tanh(t) + 1)^2 - (tanh(t))^2))/dt
(using mathematica)
= (Sech[t]^2 (v + (-1 + v^2) Tanh[t]))/Sqrt[-Tanh[t]^2 + (1 + v Tanh[t])^2]
Thanks,Khashishi
That is very interesting and complex. Unfortunately I have no access to mahtematica, do you know if I can find a curve showing the actual increase of speed when g = 1m/s^2? If there is none, can you make a graph with one of those prodigious programs, plotting on the x-axis the increase of speed and on the y-axis
speeds from 0.1 to 1c? It would be great if you could show at same time the curve of velocity addition for same values. As I said, with velocity addition 1 meter becomes 25 cm/s+...378 =:.86602540403, with acceleration it should be a little more, may be 40 cm/s?

bobie said:
Unfortunately I have no access to mahtematica, do you know if I can find a curve showing the actual increase of speed when g = 1m/s^2?

Let's see... assuming I've done this right, just go to https://www.desmos.com/calculator and input the following 2 equations:
##y=1x##
##y=\left(2.99\cdot 10^6\right)\tanh \left(\frac{1x}{\left(2.99\cdot 10^6\right)}\right)##

The first is the classical velocity equation: v=v0+at, where v0 is zero and a = 1.
The second is the relativistic equation for velocity in terms of time and acceleration. I got the equation from here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/acceleration.html

Once plotted, you can see the difference between the classical situation and the relativistic situation once you zoom far enough out. If you want to find the change in velocity for some time period, just put the 2nd equation into a calculator (there are plenty online that can do tanh) with some value for T (x in the above equation), get the 1st velocity, and then input another value for t to find the 2nd velocity. If you want to change the acceleration, just replace 1x with ax, where a is whatever acceleration you want.

Hopefully that's correct. If not, I apologize. I'm not very familiar with relativity.

Likes bobie
Drakkith said:
Let's see... assuming I've done this right, just go to https://www.desmos.com/calculator and input the following 2 equations:
##y=1x##
##y=\left(2.99\cdot 10^6\right)\tanh \left(\frac{1x}{\left(2.99\cdot 10^6\right)}\right)##

The first is the classical velocity equation: v=v0+at, where v0 is zero and a = 1.
The second is the relativistic equation for velocity in terms of time and acceleration. I got the equation from here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/acceleration.html
Thanks for your help, that desmos link is invaluable, wrote the 2 inputss, but it is just the same output, the lines are the same. Another doubt you sure it is 2.99 by ten raised to the sixth power (and not 8 as in c)?
I did not get the rest of the procedure, but I'll try to work it out. Do you get a rough evaluation of the increase of speed when g = 1

Last edited:
##2.99\cdot 10^6## is 2.99 times (10 raised to the sixth power). The 2.99 is not raised to any power.

Likes bobie
bobie said:
Thanks for your help, that desmos link is invaluable, wrote the 2 inputss, but it is just the same output, the lines are the same. Another doubt you sure it is 2.99 by ten raised to the sixth power (and not 8 as in c)?
I did not get the rest of the procedure, but I'll try to work it out. Do you get a rough evaluation of the increase of speed when g = 1

Make sure you zoom out really far. You should see the tanh line flatten out and never pass 3x108 (speed of light), unlike the 1x line which continues to climb forever. Also, yes, that should be 2.99x108, not 106 (I was very tired last night when I posted that).

Likes bobie
Dale said:
No. This calculator has nothing to do with gravity.
Even if it does not refer to gravity, yet the result of gravity equations can't be meaningfully different, (whatever equations you apply), since the values are restrained between the quadratic curve of the circle (sine/cosine: sqrt (1-y^2) and the linear result of the line described by y=1-y, and the results of the velocity addition are in between they start quadratic and then in the second half become linear: 1-2/y

Don't you agree?
What do you think of the method suggested by Drakkith?

bobie said:
Even if it does not refer to gravity, yet the result of gravity equations can't be meaningfully different, (whatever equations you apply), since the values are restrained between the quadratic curve of the circle (sine/cosine: sqrt (1-y^2) and the linear result of the line described by y=1-y, and the results of the velocity addition are in between they start quadratic and then in the second half become linear: 1-2/y

Don't you agree?
No, I do not agree. In using any formula the most important thing is to know the assumptions. You should not use any equation where the assumptions are not met.

Likes bobie
You have to be clear about who the observer is in this problem. The position of the observer relative to the asteroid is important. The original problem statement puts the observer on Earth, but then in post #5, we envision some kind of supermassive body so far away that the gravitational field is constant. In this scenario, we can't put the observer on the supermassive body itself, since it's too far away and not clearly defined. (It's probably a black hole, and we can't put the observer in the black hole). So in post #6, I have assumed that the observer is floating out in space, accelerating at g but stationary with respect to the supermassive body.

Since the asteroid is moving relative to the observer, it can only be in the same place as the observer at one point in time. The asteroid must be traveling at less than c when it passes the observer. But when it is far from the observer, it could be traveling faster than c, according to the observer's non-inertial coordinate system. Now, if you had a second observer, closer to the supermassive body, to measure the speed of the asteroid 1 second after the asteroid passes by the first observer, this speed would have to be less than c. But in this case, the second observer would necessarily be accelerating faster than the first observer to stay stationary relative to the body.

It gets complicated when gravity is involved.

Likes bobie
Khashishi said:
You have to be clear about who the observer is in this problem. ..., we can't put the observer on the supermassive body itself, ...it gets complicated when gravity is involved.
You don't need a black hole, a body just 1/10 closer to the sun than the Earth gets a constant a = 10 m/s^2, and any observer at rest in the sun's frame can measure the increase of speed.
I have checked with other sites and googled,but it seems that nobody really knows how to calculate it. S to the underlying assumptions, what are the ones behind GR? Mass bends the spacetime, what does it say about velocity? Does it influence the curvature?

bobie said:
I have checked with other sites and googled,but it seems that nobody really knows how to calculate it.

It's unlikely you'll find a simple formula for determining the change in velocity under gravity in GR. The math of GR is extremely complicated and even equations like ##G=\frac{8πG}{c^4}T## are deceptively simple since ##T## ad ##G## are both tensors.

Likes bobie
Drakkith said:
It's unlikely you'll find a simple formula for determining the change in velocity under gravity in GR. The math of GR is extremely complicated and even equations like ##G=\frac{8πG}{c^4}T## are deceptively simple since ##T## ad ##G## are both tensors.
You are certainly right, but I was not looking for a simple formula. It seems odd that after a century, with all the supercomputers and specialized software available no one has yet bothered to plot the result into a graph for a rapid consultation?
In this graph I quickly made at desmos (thanks again for the link)

https://www.desmos.com/screenshot/tgdndqvsbu

you can see in blue the curve of the velocity addition, I was looking for a similar curve that shows the values according for GR. You can see clearly now what I meant when I said that they cannot be a lot different from the blue curve. Do you agree?

bobie said:
It seems odd that after a century, with all the supercomputers and specialized software available no one has yet bothered to plot the result into a graph for a rapid consultation?

Oh I'm sure they have. They probably just haven't bothered to put it online. Or it could be online, just buried in the vast sea of binary that is the internet. I'm sure all those researchers working on black holes and neutron stars and such have a great many graphs and tables stored somewhere.

bobie said:
In this graph I quickly made at desmos (thanks again for the link)

https://www.desmos.com/screenshot/tgdndqvsbu

you can see in blue the curve of the velocity addition, I was looking for a similar curve that shows the values according for GR. You can see clearly now what I meant when I said that they cannot be a lot different from the blue curve. Do you agree?

I have no idea. I barely understand the basics of relativity.

Related to Gravity at relativistic speed

1. How does gravity change at relativistic speeds?

At relativistic speeds, the effects of gravity are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, gravity is not a force between objects, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. Can gravity be stronger or weaker at relativistic speeds?

At relativistic speeds, the strength of gravity can be different depending on the observer's frame of reference. From the perspective of an object moving at high speeds, gravity may appear to be weaker due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. However, from the perspective of a stationary observer, gravity would still appear to be the same strength.

3. How does gravity affect the passage of time at relativistic speeds?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can appear to pass at different rates depending on the observer's frame of reference. At relativistic speeds, time dilation occurs, meaning that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds compared to stationary objects. This is due to the effects of gravity and the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can gravity cause objects to travel faster than the speed of light at relativistic speeds?

No, according to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This means that no object, regardless of its mass or energy, can travel faster than the speed of light, even at relativistic speeds.

5. How does gravity affect the shape of objects at relativistic speeds?

At relativistic speeds, length contraction occurs, meaning that objects appear to be shorter in the direction of motion compared to when they are stationary. This is due to the effects of gravity and the curvature of spacetime. However, this effect is only noticeable at extremely high speeds close to the speed of light.