Gravity on air molecule vs. diffusion into vacuum

In summary, the atmosphere is held in place by Earth's gravity, while diffusion across a pressure gradient into the vacuum of space acts as the opposing force. To prove this, one could use Newton's law of gravity to calculate the force exerted by Earth on a single molecule, or look at the engineering involved in maintaining low vacuum chambers to understand the physics behind keeping the atmosphere in place.
houlahound
OK the atmosphere by definition envelopes the earth.The force keeping it here is solely gravity.

The "force" opposing this is diffusion across a pressure gradient into the vacuum of space.

Assuming that is correct how could I prove this other than looking out the window.

Newton's law of gravity will give the force Earth exerts on a single molecule, the force of the vacuum??

Physics news on Phys.org
The force keeping it here is solely gravity. yes

The "force" opposing this is diffusion across a pressure gradient into the vacuum of space.
Diffusion isn't really a force; it's more the consequence of a force. But I understand what you mean.

What kind of proof did you have in mind ? A derivation of the http://acmg.seas.harvard.edu/people/faculty/djj/book/bookchap2.html probably isn't what you mean, or is it ?

[edit] made a quote of the quote

Last edited:
A proof that is self evident and not too hard-core in the math.

But what is it you want to prove ?

That the Earth's atmosphere sticks to the earth.

Other than just breathing the proof.

The question is motivated by many, many...many years ago as an undergrad I used to hang out in the postgrad e2e collision lab and saw the engineering involved to keep in gassing of the atmosphere screwing up the low vacuum chambers enclosing the experiments.

I figure if air can leak into those elaborate chambers to be such a measurable problem then what's the physics stopping same air leaking out of the wall-less chamber of the earth.

I get we exist therefore we have an atmosphere, I just want to get the physics of the opposing "forces".

Last edited:

Related to Gravity on air molecule vs. diffusion into vacuum

1. How does gravity affect air molecules in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, there is essentially no gravity acting on air molecules. This is because gravity is a force that is dependent on mass and distance. In a vacuum, there is no air or other objects to exert a gravitational force on the air molecules. Therefore, the air molecules will tend to disperse evenly throughout the vacuum due to diffusion.

2. What is the difference between gravity on air molecules and diffusion into vacuum?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, while diffusion is the process by which molecules move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. In the case of air molecules in a vacuum, gravity does not play a significant role in their movement, but diffusion is the main mechanism by which they disperse.

3. Why do air molecules disperse in a vacuum?

This is due to the nature of diffusion, which is driven by the random movement of molecules. In a vacuum, there are no barriers or obstacles to hinder the movement of air molecules, so they will naturally disperse and spread out evenly over time.

4. Can gravity affect the diffusion of air molecules in a vacuum?

No, gravity has a very minimal effect on the diffusion of air molecules in a vacuum. This is because the force of gravity is much weaker compared to the random movements of molecules in diffusion.

5. How does temperature affect the diffusion of air molecules in a vacuum?

Temperature can affect the speed of diffusion in a vacuum. Higher temperatures will increase the speed of diffusion, as it causes molecules to have more kinetic energy and move more rapidly. However, the overall process of diffusion will still occur regardless of the temperature in a vacuum.