Gravity: Radiating Energy & Spacetime

In summary, gravitational radiation is a type of energy that is produced when massive bodies accelerate, similar to how light is produced in electromagnetism. However, due to the feeble strength of gravity, it is only detectable when produced by intense astrophysical sources. This radiation is stored in spacetime and has a spin two polarization pattern, causing objects to expand and contract in different directions.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
maybe someone can clear up a possible misconception of mine,
if a body can radiate gravity where does this expended radiation
go? i have an idea that it is damped out, by spacetime, but then
spacetime would be gaining energy.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I may be wrong, but I always thought gravity is the warping of spacetime. In this case a body doesn't radiate anything it only bends the fabric of spacetime around it. Please verify anything that I am missing.

But then again, when spacetime is warped by a body, does the warping take place because of a transfer of energy?

as you can see I'm new at all this so please correct or verify anything questionable.

sorry I can not help you much with your question

We All Know The Basic Effects Of Gravity, But What Powers It,
Does It's Fuel Run Out, Can It Be Refueled, Are There Limits To It's Reach?

here is a clip,

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/grav_radiation.html

Gravitational Radiation is to gravity what light is to electromagnetism. It is produced when massive bodies accelerate. You can accelerate anybody so as to produce such radiation, but due to the feeble strength of gravity, it is entirely undetectable except when produced by intense astrophysical sources such as supernovae, collisions of black holes, etc. These are quite far from us, typically, but they are so intense that they dwarf all possible laboratory sources of such radiation.

Gravitational waves have a polarization pattern that causes objects to expand in one direction, while contracting in the perpendicular direction. That is, they have spin two. This is because gravity waves are fluctuations in the tensorial metric of space-time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
so is this energy "stored " in spacetime?

Last edited:

FAQ: Gravity: Radiating Energy & Spacetime

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and for holding us firmly on the surface of the Earth.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a curvature in the fabric of spacetime. This curvature is caused by objects with mass, and it is what causes other objects to be pulled towards them.

3. How does gravity relate to energy?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not just a force between objects with mass, but it is also the result of the bending of spacetime caused by the presence of energy. In other words, energy and gravity are closely related.

4. What is the role of gravity in the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. It also governs the motion of celestial bodies and is essential for maintaining the stability of the universe.

5. How is gravity measured?

Gravity is measured using a device called a gravimeter. This instrument measures the gravitational pull between the Earth and an object by detecting changes in the acceleration of the object. Gravitational force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or meters per second squared (m/s^2).