GRE Problem - What am I doing wrong>

• Thread starter doubled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the conversation is discussing a practice GRE problem and the answer is determined to be D) relationship cannot be determined. One method of solving the problem yields this answer, but another method of trying to match A and B results in a contradiction. The conversation then delves into the legality of certain operations in inequalities and how they can affect the outcome. Ultimately, it is concluded that the answer is still D because one of the operations used is illegal due to not knowing the sign of a certain quantity.
doubled
I attached a pic of a practice GRE problem.

The answer is D) relationship cannot be determined.
I understand this answer and it is actually what I picked, but my 2 methods of doing this problem is contradicting each other.

If you use the method of plugging in random #s you'll discover that the answer is D.

However, my other method is trying to match A&B.
For quantity A:
we get (w+z)/(w-z)

For B:
(z+w)/(z-w)=(w+z)/(z-w) <<<<<Can I not do this flip for some reason? It is the only place where I can see a source of error
=(w+z)/-(w-z)

Divide both A&B by w+z and multiplying by w-z we getL
A=1, B= -1

So this would mean that A>B, however this clearly contradicts my other answer and I can't identify why.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
(z+w)/(z-w) can be both positive and negative, according to the absolute value of the negative z. Interchanging z and w , the sign of the "product" flips. Of course, the positive is greater, but can you state which one is positive, w¤z or z¤w in general?

ehild

ehild said:
(z+w)/(z-w) can be both positive and negative, according to the absolute value of the negative z. Interchanging z and w , the sign of the "product" flips.ehild
Sorry, I don't undertand what you mean here.
ehild said:
Of course, the positive is greater, but can you state which one is positive, w¤z or z¤w in general?
ehild
I believe you cannot since the sign in the numerator can be +/- for A&B depending on the magnitude of w&z.

doubled said:
Divide both A&B by w+z and multiplying by w-z we getL
A=1, B= -1

So this would mean that A>B, however this clearly contradicts my other answer and I can't identify why.
One of those operations (dividing both sides by w+z, multiplying both sides by w-z) was illegal. Which one, and why?

Example: It's obvious that 4 > -2. Dividing both sides by 2 yields 2 > -1, which is still true. Dividing both sides by -2 yields -2 > 1, which is obviously false. Multiplying (or dividing) both sides of an inequality by a positive number preserves the inequality, but multiplying (or dividing) both sides by a negative number reverses the sense of the inequality. What if you don't know the sign of some quantity? Multiplying (or dividing) both sides of an inequality by that unknown quantity destroys the inequality. It's an illegal operation.

In this case, since w>0>z, w-z is a positive quantity, so multiplying both sides by w-z preserves the inequality. This yields w+z : -(w+z). What about w+z? You don't know it's sign. It might be positive, negative, or even zero. Dividing both sides of the inequality by that unknown quantity destroyed the inequality.

Just work with w+z : -(w+z). You don't know whether w+z is positive, zero, or negative, so the answer is D.

Related to GRE Problem - What am I doing wrong>

1. What is the GRE Problem?

The GRE Problem refers to a specific question or set of questions on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) that a test-taker is having difficulty answering correctly.

2. How can I identify what I am doing wrong on the GRE Problem?

The best way to identify what you are doing wrong on the GRE Problem is to thoroughly review the question and your answer, and then compare it to the correct answer. Look for any mistakes or misunderstandings that may have led you to choose the wrong answer.

3. Is there a specific strategy for solving the GRE Problem?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help you approach and solve the GRE Problem. Some common strategies include eliminating obviously wrong answer choices, using process of elimination, and plugging in numbers to test different answer choices.

4. How can I improve my performance on the GRE Problem?

To improve your performance on the GRE Problem, it is important to practice regularly and take timed practice tests. This will help you become familiar with the types of questions and improve your time management skills. Additionally, reviewing your mistakes and understanding the reasoning behind the correct answers can also help improve your performance.

5. Is it normal to struggle with the GRE Problem?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with the GRE Problem, as it is designed to challenge test-takers and assess their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with practice and a solid understanding of the test format and strategies, you can improve your performance on the GRE Problem.

Back