Greatest challenge for science- Reincarnation

In summary, the biggest challenge for science is that reincarnation is still not scientifically verified. Scientists are not able to observe cases of reincarnation happening, so it's difficult to know if it's real. However, some people believe in it, and there are ways to verify whether or not it's true.
I_am_learning
Greatest challenge for science-- Reincarnation!

I don't know about other European countries but Here in south-east-Asian country, more definitely, India and Nepal, We have a bunch of stories regarding re-incarnation or rebirth. There are lots of evidence that a boy/girl only 3 or 4 years old start urging his parents that his real home is some-where else. He goes on describing that he was killed by this or that accident and that his real home is located in this ... exact location. He claims he has a wife and 2 children. When the desperate parents haunt for the house everything the child described will be perfectly matched. Moreover the child recognizes his widow at once, and even recognizes his parents or children.

This story isn't just like the ghost story. There is a man here (I forgot his name) who has done Ph.d. in Re-incarnation. He says that almost 95% of such stories are true.
Please don't don't don't think that I am making this story out of thin air. I also didn't believe in ghosts of spirit, But after learning about re-incarnation stories I have been stubbed.

Physics news on Phys.org

An anecdotal report of other reports doesn't carry much weight. Perhaps you could cite a few well-documented cases and provide some links? Please cite only respectable sources.

I thought some other would also come up with similar story in support of me. Since I now know that you aren't interested in the subject because the stories are fake, I would like to search for respectable links the will tell you the stories are true.

Its rather good to know that reincarnation isn't scientifically explained because you scientists haven't actually seen such stories happen. Then at least there is chance that once I (if i would be able) prove to you the stories are real.

thecritic said:
Its rather good to know that reincarnation isn't scientifically explained because you scientists haven't actually seen such stories happen.

Of course, the failure of science to observe an event can also indicate the event doesn't occur. The longer science goes without being able to observe an event which should be observable, the less likely the event is to ever occur.

As a 3 or 4 year old, it must be rather tempting to pull off a prank like that, claiming to have been reincarnated. Some parents are sadly very gullible.

I think the biggest problem with science testing reincarnation is the lack of falsifiable* questions.

Gravity is falsifiable because, conceivably, an object might not fall; that they do supports the theory. SR is falsifiable because, conceivably, light might not be bent by heavy objects; that it is supports SR. Quantum mechanics is falsifiable because, conceivably, the double-slit experiment might fail; etc.

What specific, testable hypotheses does this theory posit?

If you'll give some of the specifics on your flavor of belief in reincarnation I may be able to suggest an experiment. For example, what information is retained? What can a person be reincarnated from and to? In what time frame are they reincarnated (same minute, same day, within a billion years)?

* I'll leave this link to Karl Popper here in case someone wants to read more on falsifiability.

I think verification of data is more difficult than finding testable hypotheses. For example, it is said that the 14th Dalai Lama knew things that he was never taught but which were known to the 13th Dalai Lama. A statistician might be able to calculate the probability of saying these things by chance. The problem is, the child reportedly said these things in private conversations with devout believers; he didn't say them before a scientific conference.

mikelepore said:
I think verification of data is more difficult than finding testable hypotheses. For example, it is said that the 14th Dalai Lama knew things that he was never taught but which were known to the 13th Dalai Lama. A statistician might be able to calculate the probability of saying these things by chance. The problem is, the child reportedly said these things in private conversations with devout believers; he didn't say them before a scientific conference.

I don't think there's any reason to attempt such verification. There are plenty of other ways that knowledge might have passed to the 14th Dalai Lama, and that renders the statistical techniques essentially worthless. You'd need a controlled test. For example:
Make a computer program which converts numbers to 'poems', essentially error-correcting codes in natural language. Have x,000 dying patients each memorize a poem generated from a random number unique to that patient; store that poem safely (unknown to any person other than the patient). Have the computer verify that the poem is memorized correctly. Locate people born at the same time as the patient's death (c.f. the search for the Dalai Lama) and ask them, at an appropriate age, for the poem. Give good incentive for recalling it: cash, a sizable donation to a worthy cause, etc..

Heh, it could work.

FAQ: Greatest challenge for science- Reincarnation

1. What is reincarnation?

Reincarnation is the belief that a person's soul or spirit can be reborn into a new body after the death of their previous body. This concept is found in many ancient religions and philosophies, and is still believed by many people today.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for reincarnation?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the concept of reincarnation. While some people claim to have memories of past lives, these claims have not been scientifically proven. Additionally, the idea of a soul or spirit existing separately from the physical body is not supported by scientific understanding of the human body and brain.

3. What is the greatest challenge for science when it comes to studying reincarnation?

One of the greatest challenges for science in studying reincarnation is the lack of objective, measurable evidence. The concept of reincarnation is based on personal beliefs and experiences, making it difficult to conduct controlled experiments or gather empirical data. Additionally, the idea of a soul or spirit is not something that can be studied using traditional scientific methods.

4. Can science ever prove or disprove the existence of reincarnation?

No, science cannot definitively prove or disprove the existence of reincarnation. As it is based on personal beliefs and experiences, it falls outside of the realm of scientific inquiry and cannot be proven or disproven through empirical evidence.

5. What role does science play in the discussion of reincarnation?

While science may not be able to prove or disprove the existence of reincarnation, it can contribute to the discussion by examining potential explanations for the phenomenon. For example, some scientists have studied cases of people claiming to remember past lives, and have proposed theories such as false memories or psychological factors. Additionally, advancements in neuroscience can help shed light on the connection between the mind and the physical body, potentially providing a better understanding of the concept of reincarnation.