Greek Astronomers & Telescopes: Determining Magnitude & Brightness

In summary, Greek astronomers used two telescopes (without CCDs) to determine that stars with magnitudes 1 and 6 differed in brightness by 100 times. This was done by devising the magnitude system, which was later determined by astronomer Herschel. The idea of using different size telescopes to bring images to the same magnitude was on the right track, but it is important to be specific about the "size" of the telescopes.
skiboka33
I was asked in a problem to guess how Greek astronomers used 2 telescopes (and no CCDs) to determine that stars with magnitudes 1 and 6 differed in brightness by 100x

My idea was to use different size telescopes to bring the images to the same magnitude in the eyepiec, am i on the right track?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
skiboka33 said:
I was asked in a problem to guess how Greek astronomers used 2 telescopes (and no CCDs) to determine that stars with magnitudes 1 and 6 differed in brightness by 100x

My idea was to use different size telescopes to bring the images to the same magnitude in the eyepiec, am i on the right track?
Not even close.
(1) Greek astronomers didn't have telescopes.
(2) The magnitude system of 5 magnitudes being a difference of 100 times in brightness was "decided" on (consensus) in the late 1800's.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that Greek astronomers devised the magnitued system and later the astronomer Herschel determined that 2 stars with magnitudes 1 and 6 differend in brightness by 100 times. (My prof gave a hint that he used 2 telescopes to do this)

The magnitude system was originally created to be an apparent "brightness" that was determined by eye. Since the eye has a logarithmic response, this eventually translated into the logarithmic brightness system. The magnitudes were assigned long before the system had been formally implemented.

skiboka33 said:

Yes, though try to be a bit more specific about what you mean by the "size" of the telescopes.

Decent explanation can be found here.

FAQ: Greek Astronomers & Telescopes: Determining Magnitude & Brightness

1. What were the contributions of Greek astronomers to the field of astronomy?

Greek astronomers made significant contributions to the field of astronomy, including the development of the geocentric model of the universe and the advancement of mathematical techniques for measuring celestial objects. They also catalogued and named many stars and constellations, laying the foundation for modern astronomy.

2. How did Greek astronomers determine the magnitude and brightness of celestial objects?

Greek astronomers used a system of six magnitudes to measure the brightness of stars and other celestial objects. They compared the objects to the brightness of the brightest star, Sirius, which they designated as magnitude 1. This system is still used today, with modern instruments providing more precise measurements.

3. What role did telescopes play in Greek astronomy?

Greek astronomers did not have access to telescopes, as they were invented much later. Instead, they relied on the naked eye and simple tools like the astrolabe and armillary sphere to make their observations and measurements. However, their work laid the groundwork for the development of telescopes and their use in modern astronomy.

4. Who were some notable Greek astronomers?

Some notable Greek astronomers include Ptolemy, who developed the geocentric model of the universe, Aristarchus, who proposed a heliocentric model, and Hipparchus, who made significant contributions to the understanding of the motion of celestial objects. Other important figures include Thales, Anaximander, and Eratosthenes.

5. How did Greek astronomy influence modern astronomy?

Greek astronomy had a significant influence on modern astronomy. Their work laid the foundation for our understanding of the universe and the development of new tools and techniques for studying it. Many of the terms and concepts used in modern astronomy, such as constellation names and the magnitude system, have their roots in ancient Greek astronomy.