Green Function approach is more physical?

In summary, the speaker is unsure of which forum to post their question in, but believes this one is the most relevant as it pertains to regularization. They are reading a book by Milton and in chapter one, he uses dimensional regularization to derive the Casimir energy for a massless scalar field. In the next section, Milton claims that using a Green function approach is a more physical and rigorous method. The speaker wonders if this is a common belief in the physics community and why it is considered more physical. They also mention that they have not seen Green functions used for regularization before.
robousy
Hey folks,

I'm not really sure which forum to put this question in but I figured this was probably the best as it deals with issues of regularization.

I'm reading Miltons 'The Casimir Effect'. In chapter one he derives the Casimir energy for a massless scalar field by employing dimensional regularization. He then goes on in the next section to derive the same result using a Green function approach which he claims is "...a physical and rigorous approach".

From this sentence it appears that he favors the Green function approach over Dim reg. Is this a general 'feeling' in the physics community? That Green functions are somehow superior to Dim Reg? Also, why should this be 'physical'?

I hope this question makes sense.

Rich

Physics news on Phys.org
I do have the feeling that Greens functions are more physical than dimensional regularization. That is, I can very well imagine the physical meaning of a propagator, but I don't really have intuition for [itex]4 + \epsilon[/itex] dimensions with [itex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{C}[/itex].
I can't remember seeing Greens functions being used for regularization though.

Hi Rich,

The Green function approach is often considered to be more physical because it is based on the concept of a propagator, which describes how a field evolves in time and space. This approach is more closely related to the physical processes that are happening in a system, such as the interaction between particles.

On the other hand, dimensional regularization is a mathematical technique used to remove divergences in calculations, but it may not have a direct physical interpretation. It is a useful tool for obtaining finite results, but it may not provide as much insight into the underlying physics as the Green function approach.

In general, the choice of approach may depend on the specific problem at hand and personal preferences of the physicist. Some may find the Green function approach more intuitive and physically meaningful, while others may prefer the mathematical simplicity of dimensional regularization. Both approaches have their advantages and limitations, and it is important to understand when and how to use them appropriately.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Happy studying!

FAQ: Green Function approach is more physical?

What is the Green Function approach?

The Green Function approach is a mathematical method used in theoretical physics and engineering to analyze linear systems. It involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts and finding solutions to each part, which are then combined to find the overall solution.

Why is the Green Function approach considered more physical?

The Green Function approach is considered more physical because it is based on fundamental physical principles and laws. It takes into account the physical properties and behavior of the system being studied, making it a more accurate and realistic approach.

How does the Green Function approach differ from other mathematical methods?

The Green Function approach differs from other mathematical methods in that it incorporates boundary conditions and initial conditions, which are essential in understanding real-world systems. It also takes into account the temporal and spatial behavior of the system, making it more comprehensive.

What are the advantages of using the Green Function approach?

One of the main advantages of using the Green Function approach is its ability to handle complex systems by breaking them down into simpler parts. It also allows for the incorporation of physical properties and boundary conditions, making it a more accurate and realistic method. Additionally, it can be applied to a wide range of systems in various fields of physics and engineering.

Are there any limitations to using the Green Function approach?

While the Green Function approach has many advantages, it also has limitations. It can only be applied to linear systems, and it may not be suitable for highly nonlinear or chaotic systems. Additionally, it may be challenging to find closed-form solutions for some problems, requiring numerical methods to be used instead.