Green's Function for Third Order ODE

In summary, a dynamical system has a differential equation involving a third time derivative, where the response, y(t), is equal to the driving force, f(t). The solution to the homogeneous equation is obtained by integrating three times with respect to t. To derive the causal Green's function for this system, the order of derivative with a discontinuity at t = τ is identified by replacing the driving force with a delta function and integrating over a small interval around τ, resulting in a change of 1 in the second derivative. This approach is correct and there are no other factors to consider.
ferret123

Homework Statement

A dynamical system has a response, y(t), to a driving force, f(t), that satisfies a differential equation involving a third time derivative:

[itex]\frac{d^{3}y}{dt^{3}} = f(t)[/itex]

Obtain the solution to the homogeneous equation, and use this to derive the causal Green's function for this system, G(t;τ). [hint: which order of derivative has a discontinuity at t = τ?]

2. The attempt at a solution

I've obtained a solution to the homogeneous equation [itex]\frac{d^{3}y}{dt^{3}} = 0 [/itex] by integrating 3 times with respect to t giving [itex]y(t) = \frac{1}{2}At^{2} + Bt + C[/itex].

Since I'm looking for a causal Green's function I know for t<τ G(t;τ) = 0.

Taking the advise of the hint I have tried to find which order of derivative has a discontinuity at t=τ. First replacing the driving force, f(t), with a delta function, δ(t-τ), I get

[itex]\frac{d^{3}y}{dt^{3}} = \delta(t-τ)[/itex]

then integrating over the interval [τ-ε, τ+ε] and letting ε tend to 0, I conclude the second derivative changes discontinuously by 1.

Is this correct or have I missed something in determining where the discontinuity lies?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine.

Related to Green's Function for Third Order ODE

1. What is a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE?

A Green's Function for a Third Order ODE is a mathematical tool used in solving third order ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It is a function that represents the complete solution to a particular ODE, given a specific set of initial or boundary conditions.

2. How is a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE different from a Green's Function for a Second Order ODE?

The main difference between a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE and a Green's Function for a Second Order ODE is the order of the ODE. A third order ODE includes a third derivative, while a second order ODE only includes a second derivative. This means that the Green's Function for a Third Order ODE will have three terms, while the Green's Function for a Second Order ODE will only have two terms.

3. What is the purpose of a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE?

The purpose of a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE is to simplify the process of solving a third order ODE. By using the Green's Function, the solution to the ODE can be expressed in terms of simpler functions, making it easier to calculate and understand.

4. How is a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE used to solve an ODE?

To use a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE to solve an ODE, the function is multiplied by the inhomogeneous term (the term on the right side of the ODE). This produces a new function, which when differentiated three times, will give the original inhomogeneous term. The solution to the ODE is then found by integrating this new function with respect to the initial conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE?

One limitation of using a Green's Function for a Third Order ODE is that it can only be used for linear ODEs. Additionally, the ODE must have constant coefficients for the Green's Function to be used. It may also be difficult to find the Green's Function for more complex ODEs, making it less useful in those cases.